Associate Product Engineer - School & Office
Description: ASSOCIATE PRODUCT ENGINEER - SCHOOL & OFFICESupport Target Owned Brand Product Design and Development with direction from design leaders to achieve overall product design strategy and merchant objectives. Manage workload and understand the product development process and key deadlines.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Diligent approach to workload, maintaining good, timely communication with suppliers, team members and CFTs
- Support the product team by understanding the business initiatives, product functional requirements and performance expectations to ensure consistency of product
- Represent Engineering as part of a Cross Functional Team (including Design, Merchants and TSS) focused on taking owned brand products to appropriate levels of styles, quality and value
- Partner with Quality and Compliance Teams to understand performance testing protocols and supports product development to meet those requirements
- Provide and maintain updates to technical specifications and drawings to include: raw materials, fit/function, construction details andproduct dimensions to depict the desired product as needed
- Support evaluation of Vendor Generated Specs against product production sample
- Provide timely sample evaluations and ensure approvals of all products are meeting the specification and Target's standardsleading to the issue of a final production specification
- Input and maintain accurate information in a system
- Understand competitors and benchmarks to be current on fit/function, material, quality and construction standards
- Develop a working knowledge of product manufacturing and vendor capability
- Initiate and support Technical Functional Reviews with PSQA, Sourcing and PD&D
- Support the timely resolution of all issues pertaining to the development, construction and manufacturing of products
- Is a deployable resource for total team/total business needs; may be called upon to help with fundamental PD&D tasks as part of a supportive culture and/or to gain experience beyond their roleResearch
- Develop an appropriate working knowledge of applicable government regulatory requirements, safety protocols and Target performance standards for products across assigned categories
- Partner with TD/PE to understand competitors and benchmarks for specified owned brands to continuously evaluate and compare Target products to competitors and industry benchmarks.
- Support and execute market and consumer guest research to ensure Target product meets or exceeds the perceived value/performance of the competitors' product
- Develop an understanding of the vendor matrix and associated manufacturing capabilities.
- Understand and develop product quality standards with oversight from the Director
- Basic understanding of core guest for their brand/category
- 4 year Manufacturing, Packaging, Industrial Engineering or product development related degree.
- Minimum 1-4 years of experience.
- Computer design system skills including InDesign, Illustrator, & Photoshop
- Experience in CAD illustration or 2D/3D software.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment.