Community Education Assistant
JustUs Health, formed through a merger between the Minnesota AIDS Project (MAP), and Rainbow Health Initiative (RHI), envisions a Minnesota where people from diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities experience health and wellness in powerfully inclusive environments. Founded in 1983, MAP is widely recognized for the impact of its prevention and support services for individuals living with HIV or at risk of HIV infection. RHI, founded in 2001, advances the health of the LGBTQ communities through research, education and advocacy. Together, JustUs Health will lead work to achieve health equity for diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities.
JustUs Health seeks a Community Education Assistant who will provide education about HIV, Hepatitis C and STI disease progression, prevention, resources, and services in various community settings including but not limited to chemical dependency treatment programs, correctional facilities, homeless re-entry programs and others. The Community Education Assistant is expected to have excellent communication skills and represent the TEACH program professionally in each interaction.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain a current working knowledge of HIV, Hepatitis C and STI prevention, care, research and related programs and services.
- Provide community-level HIV and Hepatitis C education and outreach.
- Provide community-level HIV and Hepatitis C presentations
- maintain professionalism and accountability while delivering educational sessions
- adjust presentation formats as needed to meet the needs of various audiences and to respond to unanticipated group dynamics.
- Attend Health Fairs to distribute HIV and Hepatitis C prevention education, actively engage with Health Fair participants and answer questions.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the volunteer speaker’s bureau
- Prepare training materials and coordinate training site needs for presentations.
- Communicate regularly with the Community Education Coordinator
- Assist in maintaining education tracking systems and reporting
- Willingness to continue education through research, literature review, workshops, and a general effort is made to keep up to date with current HIV information. Work collaboratively as a team member in order to ensure team cohesiveness and efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, health, social science, education, or gender or women’s studies.
- Knowledge of HIV, Hepatitis C and STI disease progression, prevention, resources, and services
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to communicate information in a professional manner, respectful of cultural differences, both on the phone and in person to diverse populations .
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekend events
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation to travel in the metro and Greater MN, as required
- Master’s degree or working towards a master’s degree in Public Health
- Experience in creating, executing community outreach and education programs
- Strong connection to LGBTQ communities
Full-time-40 hours/week, generally Mo-Fr, 9-5, some evenings and weekends
JustUs Health provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. People of color, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for Community Education Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly