River Market Community Co-op General Manager
River Market Community Co-op seeks a General Manager with strong financial management experience, and proven leadership ability. We seek a systems-oriented, strategic thinker to lead our team of managers and staff in achieving the ends policies determined by our board of directors, which are as follows:
River Market Community Co-op cultivates a healthy community through its:
- Equitable economic relationships,
- Positive environmental impacts, and
- Inclusive, socially responsible business practices.
Overview of Responsibilities
The job of the general manager is to ensure achievement of organizational goals as defined in River Market’s ends policies. The general manager has the authority to use any reasonable interpretation of these policies.
The general manager’s performance will be evaluated through systematic and rigorous monitoring of expectations established in policies on asset protection, financial conditions, business planning and financial budgeting, staff treatment and compensation, treatment of customers, membership equity and benefits, communication and support to the board.
A full set of the board’s policies is available upon request.
The general manager reports to the Board of Directors, which is elected by the owners of River Market Community Co-op. The board operates under Policy Governance, a system that emphasizes vision and values empowerment and accountability. The board uses policies to define the results the general manager is expected to achieve within defined limits of prudence and ethics. The general manager has the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate staff.
Qualifications Essential Qualifications (comparable experience will be considered)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience managing within a retail food store (as general manager, store manager, district manager, operations manager, department manager etc.)
- Bottom-line accountability within a business with a relative sales volume to that of River Market
- Strategic planning experience
Essential Qualifications (continued)
- Experience supervising managers, including hiring, training, evaluating, compensating, firing
- Demonstrated understanding of financial statements: distinct purposes/uses of each statement
- Operating, capital, and cash budgeting experience
- Proven ability to develop systems (human resources and IT related, etc.)
- Considerable computer literacy within Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Ability to present written and spoken information clearly, professionally and in a timely fashion to the Co-op board of directors, Co-op staff, more than 5000 owners and a vast number of customers
- Marketing and merchandising in a highly competitive market
- Retail natural foods experience
- Cooperative management experience
- Proven ability in team building, leading and motivating others to gain cooperation
- Experience with organic and local foods
- Experience working for or serving on a board of directors
- Experience with policy governance
Salary and compensation package commensurate with qualified experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
River Market Community Food Co-op embraces diversity, equity, and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills; and a workplace environment of mutual respect and benefit to all.