Communications Director at the University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota is a world-class, public research university dedicated to meeting the challenges of the future with a diverse and global workforce.
The Communications Director in the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) is responsible for leading the communications team, communications planning and development, marketing, digital communications, media relations, internal and external communications, crisis communications, branding, and executive communications in CFANS and the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station (MAES).The Director of Communications will provide strategic communications leadership and support for both CFANS and MAES. The director will lead the staff of both areas and report to the Chief Operating Officer for CFANS.
This position is a key member of the CFANS advancement team. Along with the Director of Development and the Director of Alumni & Constituent Relations, the Director of Communications works collaboratively to support the college’s advancement efforts across multiple channels and initiatives.
The Director of Communications will work to position CFANS by crafting overall key messages and media and public relations strategies to clearly articulate the mission of the college to all external facing relationships including: commodity groups, alumni, donors, reporting agencies,
MAES stakeholders and government.
● BA/BS degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism and Art or related field or
non-communications related degree with additional two years of professional
● 8 years of progressive responsibility in communications, including significant leadership
experience. Non-communications degreed individuals must have 10 years of
progressive responsibility in communications.
● Experience in providing executive communications.
● Experience developing strategic communications plans and executing integrated communications strategies.
● Demonstrated success in project management, including organizational and planning skills .
● Communications and Teamwork: Demonstrates the ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely; shows good active listening skills; and able to tailor messages appropriately to audience. Builds working relationships to resolve problems and achieve common goals. Offers assistance, support, and feedback to others. Ability to communicate effectively, succinctly, and persuasively in writing, orally and interpersonally.
● Diversity: Is respectful and effectively works with individuals from culturally diverse populations. Demonstrates a commitment to an understanding of diversity and inclusiveness. Demonstrates sensitivity and awareness of challenges and institutional barriers for people from under-represented populations, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression.
● Motivation: Shows initiative, anticipates needs, and takes actions. Ability to be self-directed, take appropriate action and be efficient and resourceful in fulfilling responsibilities.
● Accountability/Reliability: Takes ownership for own work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes and learns from them. Follows through on commitments, is dependable and trusted to work independently.
It’s easy to apply
Go to https://z.umn.edu/322942 or search for job opening #322294 on our careers site. Follow the instructions to complete an online application and attach a cover letter and resume. Additional documents or a questionnaire may be requested. You can attach additional materials after submitting your application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
It’s great working at the U! The University is dedicated to keeping you and your family healthy—physically, emotionally, financially, socially, and professionally. Here are just some of the many benefits of working at
● Competitive wages
● Full medical , dental, and pharmacy plans
● Retirement, life insurance, and short-and long-term disability insurance
● A wellness program that rewards you for doing healthy activities
● Tuition benefits to further your education while you work
● Opportunity for public employer-student loan forgiveness
● Leadership development and training opportunities
● Opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and educator.