Lead Business Designer, New Ventures
3 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Description: LEAD BUSINESS DESIGNER, NEW VENTURESSimilar Industry Titles and Key Words: management consulting, internal consulting, venture capitalist, private equity, business development, startup, new ventures, accelerators, digital, ecommerceAbout This OpportunityThe Business Design Lead will drive the strategic approach and analytical rigor to accelerate and prove out “new products” (concepts, physical products, software, etc.) that differentiate the guest experience and enable Target to make money in new ways. You will lead discrete bodies of work to: develop strategies around Target's role in emerging technologies; identify and structure solutions sets, critical hypotheses, and success metrics in ambiguous problem spaces; and build business cases to validate desirability, feasibility, and viability. You will work in partnership with Venture Development and product managers to vet product-market fit through prototyping cycles of increasing fidelity.A successful Business Design Lead is comfortable with uncertainty, navigating without roadmaps, playing multiple roles, and daily change. They drive major aspects of value proposition development, test and learn planning, iterative discovery, to ultimately launch or “exit” (e.g., transition back into Target) of new products and concepts. As a Lead Business Designer, you will…
- Drive major aspects of consulting-like project engagements that identify key strategies to deliver new business models or concepts for Target, including defining scope of work, resourcing (people, consultant, technologists, research, etc.) and end-end budget oversight.
- Leverage consumer, market, competitive, and financial data and analysis to develop comprehensive business cases for competitive differentiation and growth.
- Lead process of identifying core problem/solution sets, articulating critical hypotheses, and developing success metrics to enable future testing
- Analyze and define monetization business models that yield new revenues streams for Target. Work with the testing team to define and conduct tests to validate the potential business models
- Collaborate cross-functionally across the enterprise (HQ, SF, Sunnyvale, TI etc) and effectively influence without authority to drive business decisions and advance long-term transformation efforts
- Create and coordinate C-suite, board level presentations and executive briefings as needed
- Understand retail trends, competitors, and consumers to develop new concepts and businesses that meet future needs in the fast-evolving multi-channel retail landscape, both domestically and abroad
- Fact-based and analytical problem-solving; critical and conceptual thinking, including ability to translate consumer research and observations into actionable opportunities
- Strong digital acumen and interest in technology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- Strong financial modeling skills
- Team-orientated, expert collaborator
- Highly structured and organized thinker and executor
- Strong sense of ownership. Self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
- 4-year college degree + post graduate degree (MBA preferred)
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience after graduate school. Equivalently 7+ years of experience with strong emphasis on digital, ecommerce, or technology related field in lieu of post graduate degree
- Prior experience in project leadership with a top management, innovation, technology consulting firm (McKinsey, Bain,, IDEO, Doblin, etc) or in a Fortune 100-level corporate strategy group ideally with subject matter expertise in digital oriented businesses or technology.
- Experience in systematic approach to strategic problem solving including: define / reframe key questions, develop hypotheses, structure quantitative and qualitative analyses to develop insights, formulate well-founded recommendations, and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels of the organization.
- Experience in consumer and design research including experience in prototyping techniques and innovation frameworks.