Director of Buildings and Grounds
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Rockford Area School District is seeking a Director of Buildings and Grounds. The Director of Buildings and Grounds leads the departments responsible for creating an optimal learning environment for students. Maintains the physical facilities of the district, manages construction and renovations, and supervises the maintenance, custodial, grounds operations teams. Responsible for planning and directing the health and safety programs and security and emergency management programs.
1. Bachelor's degree in Facilities Management or equivalent; or a major field of study or degree emphasis of Construction, Facility Systems Operations and Repairs; or equivalent combinations of education and/or experience will be considered
2. A minimum of three (3) years in facilities management, maintenance and three years’ experience as a supervisor; or three years’ experience working in the construction or building maintenance industry and three years’ experience as a supervisor.
3. Current valid MN Boiler license, valid MN Driver license, and MASMS Facility Manager Certification required; Low Voltage Electrical License preferred.
4. Knowledge in supervision, scheduling, facility systems operations, maintenance and repair, documentation, and training required.
5. Written and oral communication, leadership, and multitasking skills required.
6. Experience in a public school or other public entity required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of the use of computers and mobile technology.
Considerable ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Considerable knowledge of building construction, maintenance, repair and renovation related to institutional type structures.
Considerable ability to estimate, plan and coordinate building maintenance work.
Considerable ability to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously.
Considerable supervisory and conflict management skills.
Considerable ability to evaluate information and prepare recommendations.
Working knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations relating to building maintenance activities.
Working knowledge of horticulture and grounds maintenance practices and procedures.
Working knowledge of fertilizers, pesticides and the propagation and maintenance of turf grasses.
Working knowledge in the management of classified personnel represented by collective bargaining groups.
Working knowledge of environmental health laws, ordinances, standards and regulations including, but not limited to, Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response (AHERA), Employee Right to Know, Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), and related federal, state, and local security, health and safety legislation.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following fundamental duties:
Responsible for planning and directing the health and safety programs and security and emergency management programs.
Supervise the maintenance, grounds and custodial staff, including reviews and updates of daily custodial schedules and annual performance reviews.
Manage the day-to-day prioritizations of grounds and maintenance work.
Assist with the development of the annual Buildings and Grounds budget.
Develop the annual updates to LTFM and Health and Safety budgets.
Manage the day-to-day prioritization, assignment, planning, development, scheduling and coordination of deferred and preventive maintenance.
Manage records for the custodial, grounds and maintenance operations including records of preventative maintenance for each building; ensure that the work is performed correctly and in a timely manner.
Implement district security policies and procedures, and train staff in security systems and security protocol.
Review plans, drawings, specifications and cost estimates for maintenance and capital improvement projects for coordination of work.
Assist in development of contract specifications, and procure, manage and coordinate outside contractors to perform maintenance work when necessary; coordinate the work of outside contractors with district maintenance staff to ensure completion of maintenance projects.
Oversee the vehicle fleet and equipment care for the grounds and maintenance crews.
Perform other related duties as assigned.