Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney Position)
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Employer: Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Closes: Open Until Filled
Category: Legal and Nonprofit
Employment Status: Full-time
Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney Position)
- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking a pro bono coordinator (attorney position) in its Saint Paul, Minnesota office. Fluency in Spanish or Somali is preferred. The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 25-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 21 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The ILCM Pro Bono Project engages members of the private bar to provide legal services to income-eligible immigrants and refugees in several areas of immigration law, including but not limited to, citizenship, DACA, crime victim relief, family reunification, and removal defense. The Pro Bono Coordinator is responsible for overseeing client services and volunteer coordination in various areas of ILCM’s pro bono programming, in addition to a small caseload.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conduct legal screening and case assessment for potential pro bono clients.
- Coordinate case placement for pro bono clients.
- Administer pro bono legal clinics and community workshops.
- Provide training, mentorship, and technical assistance to ILCM pro bono volunteers.
- Engage in outreach efforts to the private bar regarding our volunteer opportunities, and immigrant and refugee communities regarding our legal services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners to further services for immigrants and refugee communities.
- Maintain a small caseload of representation to individuals and families in immigration matters, including some or all of the following: affirmative immigration representation before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), U.S. consulates abroad; and immigration administrative appeals.
- Maintain client data in compliance with organization protocols, and assist with grant proposal and report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: J.D. degree and admission to a state bar. Experience with immigration matters strongly preferred. Other Skills/Requirements include:
- Second language fluency in Spanish or Somali preferred;
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills;
- High level of attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Familiarity with diverse refugee and immigrant communities, community agencies, and resources;
- Demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- Ability to work constructively with others, possess good judgment, learn quickly, and work well independently and under pressure as well as in collaboration with other staff and with other organizations; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, immigration form program and case database experience a plus.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to ILCM Pro Bono, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.
Apply for Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney Position)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly