FESQA Scientist - Pest Prevention Management
Description: FESQA Scientist-Pest Prevention Management (Level 5)Classification: Exempt Date: May 2018Team: Food & Essentials Safety and Quality Assurance (FESQA)Pyramid: Legal AffairsThis position reports to: FESQA Sr. Manager, Recalls & Regulatory Compliance (RRC)About us:Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers.To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target's ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target's signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you'll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you'll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.A role in Food Safety means working in a critical area that will support Target's efforts to identify, prioritize and minimize areas of food safety risk as well as proactively educate and equip team members by providing simplified tools, processes and training. You will have a number of resources available to you as you leverage technology, metrics, reporting and communication to monitor and drive compliance in this critical area.This position is responsible for managing a risk-based pest prevention and control program for Target stores and distribution centers (DCs). This position provides expertise and guidance on all aspects of pest prevention and is a subject matter expert on conducive conditions for pest harborage. As a FESQA Scientist for Pest Prevention Management, primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage a comprehensive, integrated and effective enterprise pest prevention and control program across stores and DCs in alignment with the enterprise cleaning and sanitation program. Incorporate and drive prevention-based and risk-based principles to mitigate pest issues. Manage an effective facility self inspection process.
- Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of all types of pests typically impacting retail/grocery facilities and warehouses/DCs in regions across the U.S.
- Maintain a strong understanding of integrated pest management (IPM), effectiveness and limitations of pest control monitoring devices and pest control treatment options within retail/foodservice and warehouses/DCs.
- Keep informed of industry pest control practices and advances to assess potential program improvements for Target. Test new or alternate pest control methods, as appropriate.
- Manage and maintain the pest escalation processes. Approver for escalated pest control actions involving 3rd party pest control service providers. Assist with providing direction and guidance to facilities, as necessary.
- Conduct vendor business reviews and manage the ongoing vendor relationships for the 3rd party pest control service providers to identify and influence program enhancements. Assure vendors are meeting requirements within contractual scopes of work. Manage and maintain oversight on the pest control budget and expenses.
- In collaboration with SFS, assure pest-related inquiries from facilities are responded to and corrective actions are effectively addressed and provide guidance to field and facility leadership for coaching team members and for assistance with verification of corrective actions, as necessary
- Conduct on-site assessments at facilities to assure effective actions are taken to mitigate pest risk, as necessary.
- Report on key metrics. Identify and take action on key program improvement opportunities.
- Provide back-up within FESQA-RRC, as necessary.
- B.S. degree in Food Science, Public Health or related environmental or agriculture scientific discipline with training in entomology, rodentology, urban or structural pest management.
- 5+ years of experience in retail or manufacturing pest control programs or experience in urban pest management. Experience in organic and green pest management desirable.
- Certification desirable: BCE, RS, REHS or CP-FS
- Current PCO License preferred (this position does not apply pesticides).
- Effective working knowledge of Excel and ability to learn and master related Target systems and reporting applications.
- Ability to independently collaborate and support strategic initiatives/projects.
- Ability to manage time and resources to execute projects and achieve goals.
- Effective interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication and ability to influence.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills with ability to apply good judgment
- Ability to travel, as required (up to 25%).