Lead Data Scientist
3 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Join Target's Data Science and Optimization team which is a multi-disciplinary team of people skilled in statistics, optimization, machine-learning, operations research, distributed systems, compilers, and functional programming. This is an exciting opportunity where you will:
- Research techniques and prototype telemetry tools to detect anomalies in supply chain performance and diagnose their root causes.
- Embed with business teams and understand the supply chain processes to inform the design of these telemetry tools.
- Partner with a multi-disciplinary team of technologists to develop and implement these tools to work at scale.
- Test and learn to influence and drive the creation of new methods and best practices in the use of statistical data modeling and machine learning techniques in a big data environment to build these telemetry tools for Target's supply chain operations.
It's a very large and interesting problem that we have fun thinking through and solving. We'd love to hear from you if you are interested in the role that calls for a combination of statistical data analysis, mathematical modelling, programming with R/Python and good software engineering. Domain expertise in supply chain operations isn't necessary; we'll happily teach you that! We emphasize both learning and teaching within the group, we're excited to teach you and to learn from you!
Why work with us at Target?
- We are a distributed team. Our company is based in Minneapolis, MN and our team is based in Sunnyvale, CA, but more than 50% of the team works outside these areas, and we operate as a remote-first team.
- We are using great tools! We write a lot of code using Haskell/Python/R, we are trying to push Nix into new directions, we are experimenting with Rust. We get to be clients on Targets well run Kubernetes infrastructure.
- We love open source! Many of our team members contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects!
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We value our team members. We treat our team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, community members, and more, and are able to offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements so that they can flourish both inside and outside of work.
What we are looking for:
- Passion for empirical research and statistical/mathematical modelling
- Evidence of strong data analysis skills with R/Python/SQL working in a data rich environment
- A strong, quantitatively-oriented, advanced degree
- Very good client facing skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in continuous learning across different fields, especially statistics, optimization, econometrics, functional programming, clean software engineering and of course supply chain operations in omni-channel retailing!