Community Relations Specialist
Days: TBD - based on business needs
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
The Community Relations Specialist is a key position for Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community and its enterprises as it assists in creating awareness, in addition to building on new and existing relationships through various channels including but not limited to tradeshows, sponsored booths/events, community outreach and more. The ideal candidate must have an upbeat and can-do attitude while speaking confidently about each enterprise and the tribe while thinking about cross-promotion opportunities, all with a smile during each interaction.
This role will require someone to work independently with little supervision while proactively communicating and seeking appropriate approvals. This role needs to proactively and consistently prospect and develop new and existing business opportunities for SMSC Tribal Government enterprises. Providing relevant and timely materials to external contacts is key.
In addition to exercising grassroots for each enterprise while developing possible sale opportunities, the Community Relations Specialist takes lead on exhibiting at events that are frequently held on evenings and weekends. From traditional tradeshows to the annual outdoor events such as the annual Wacipi (Pow Wow), you are the boots on the ground sharing information about SMSC and its enterprises.
Assists in preparing and maintaining the budget for tradeshows including reporting variances, manually input data and create post reports along with providing documentation on expenses as they relate to Community Relations Specialist role.
- Initiate action plan to approach and secure new business with focus on SMSC Tribal Government enterprises. Actively and consistently prospect and develop new and existing accounts to achieve goals through telephone calls, marketing and outside sales calls, tours of facilities and email/written communications. Propose creative strategies to increase sales through grassroots leads and innovative awareness opportunities.
- Create awareness of SMSC and its enterprises at networking events, luncheons, door-to-door introductions, and more.
- Coordinate specific details of event exhibits and projects while following through with thorough communication and top-notch quality while multitasking and meeting deadlines. Event coordination includes securing space, creating staffing schedule, confirming details with clients, setting up and tearing down booth and working event. Events and projects include but are not limited to: industry meetings, tradeshows, festivals, and more.
- Other duties as assigned
Must meet one of the following criteria:
- A four-year degree in marketing, mass communications or related field plus three years' sales or related experience. OR
- A two-year degree in marketing, mass communications or related field plus five years' sales or related experience. Seven or more years' experience in sales or related field.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with experience and comfort speaking in front of groups.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, good driving record, and reliable transportation.