Dir of Sales
Days: TBD - based on business needs
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Areas of Responsibility:
Group Sales, Catering Sales, MOA Store
Directly responsible for the overall management, strategic direction and revenue growth in catering and group sales through marketing programs which attract repeat visitation as well as secure new business through promotion of SMSC's gaming, hotel, food, entertainment, brand and other amenities. Oversee the development of sales campaigns, as well as marketing and promotional plans which concentrate on maximizing room and catering sales with potential for gaming. Research and develop strategies and plans which identify opportunities for growth. Responsible for meeting or exceeding sales targets, operating within budgetary constraints and ensuring high guest satisfaction. Oversee the Mall of America Retail store and develop marketing initiatives to drive new visitation to Mystic Lake from tourists that are visiting the Minneapolis/St. Paul region.
Is accountable for the creation and achievement of annual revenue budget, as well as expense allocation and control.
- Provide planning and strategic direction in the areas of Sales and Catering. Develop sales plans to accomplish profit/revenue goals. Direct sales forecasting activities and set performance goals accordingly. Execute all Sales and Catering business plans to ensure performance and profit objectives for short- and long-term goals are met. Ensure that department procedures are in compliance with corporate policies.
- Meet with key clients, assisting Sales staff with maintaining relationships and negotiating/closing deals. Actively and consistently prospect and develop new and existing accounts to achieve goals through telephone calls, marketing and outside sales calls, tours of facilities, email/written communications, attendance at trade shows and industry events.
- Develop and oversee implementation of marketing promotions and projects in collaboration with the Marketing department (i.e. mailings, collateral, client events, advertising, etc.)
- Direct, lead, coach and counsel team members regarding performance, goal achievement, team engagement, and internal and external guest concerns. Develop and maintain lines of communications with internal departments to ensure completion of projects and to maximize guest satisfaction.
- Assist in developing occupancy- and revenue-maximizing strategies for the property through forecasting, report analysis, labor and cost controls, and competitive research.
- Oversight of the Mall of America store including the creation of marketing initiative designed to drive visitation from visitors to the Minneapolis/St. Paul region. Includes oversight of all materials and branding created for the MOA Store.
- Interview and select team members; plan training and development in conjunction with Human Resources Development, and complete performance appraisals, disciplinary actions and terminations.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Sales, Marketing or related field; or five years of experience in a Director of Sales role or higher.
- Ten years' experience in group sales, catering, hotel sales or related field, including five years of progressive leadership/management experience.
- Ability to review and understand contracts/legal documents.
- Proven proficiency in financial management.
- Demonstrated experience communicating and presenting information to all levels of management including Board level groups.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning and business plan development.
- Demonstrated experience with leading teams, goal setting and creating action plans that drive positive team member engagement and performance.
- Intermediate skills in keyboarding, word processing, spreadsheets, and electronic mail.
- Knowledge of hotel-specific software.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, good driving record, and reliable transportation.