The current vacancy is located in Hibbing, MN with the Bridge Division.
This list may be used to fill future vacancies .
Distinguishing Features of Work
An employee in this class uses professional skills and knowledge to perform technically complex field and office engineering projects within a division of the Public Works Department as part of the program delivery process. Duties include supervising the design, planning, construction, inspection and maintenance of various engineering projects; ensuring that engineering projects comply with applicable laws and regulations; meeting with community leaders and the public to discuss and negotiate various public works' projects and to resolve related concerns; and negotiating with public and private utilities. The work is performed under the direction of assigned supervisory staff.
These work environment factors are general in nature and may vary depending on the specific position being filled: CONSTANT: Work around others; near and far vision. FREQUENT: Move about; work alone; work with others; work outside; talk; hear; depth perception; color vision; field of vision; walk; read; drive; moving objects; and dirt/dust. OCCASIONAL: Sit; lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds; customer/public contact; extended day; work inside; extreme cold, wet/humid; noise; climb; balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; reach; handle; use fingers; feel; and high places.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Pass/Fail):
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (PE) with the Minnesota Board of Registration OR becomes PE registered in Minnesota through comity (reciprocity) within one (1) year of appointment. (Registration requires four (4) years of post-graduate, professional engineer experience or three (3) years of experience and a Master's or Doctoral degree.)
- Two (2) years of pre- or post-PE experience in Civil Engineering.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- If the successful candidate possesses 3 years of experience in Civil Engineering with 2 years as a Senior Engineer, they may be considered, at the discretion of the hiring authority, for appointment at the Principal Engineer level. This would be determined at the time a job offer is extended.
Engineering experience in the field directly related to the posted position.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING RATING (SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS - 100% of the scoring process):
Points will be awarded for job-related experience and education exceeding the minimum qualifications. Only experience occurring during the ten most recent years will be used in determining this rating. Experience beyond ten years may be included on the application for purposes of meeting minimum qualifications or informing the hiring authority of your complete employment history.
Please note: When answering the supplemental questions on the website, the web page will time out after 30 minutes. It's highly recommended you draft your answers in a Word document and copy/paste the answers into the application when you're finished writing. Failure to answer all of the questions on the "Supplemental Questions" page within 30 minutes will result in the deletion of your answers by the application system.
ORAL EXAM (Pass/Fail):
Candidates (as determined by rating of Supplemental Questions) will be scheduled for the oral on July 31, 2018. If seven or fewer applicants qualify for the oral exam, it may be waived.
The essential functions for this position are listed under the "ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK" on the specification, available in the Human Resources Department or online at http://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/jobdescriptions
If you are eligible to apply for Veterans Preference, please attach to your application a copy of document(s) listed for the option that applies to you:
- Veteran: DD214 noting character of service.
- Disabled Veteran: DD214 & compensable disability award letter issued within the last 6 months.
- Spouse of Disabled Veteran: DD214 & compensable disability award letter issued within the last 6 months & marriage certificate. (Eligible only if Veteran is unable to qualify because of the disability.)
- Spouse of Deceased Veteran: DD214, Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate.
Apply by 7/19/18
Equal Opportunity & Veteran Friendly Employer