IT Specialist (CustSpt)
The IT Specialist (Customer Support) position is located with the Office of Information Technology (OIT), ITOPS with the Minneapolis VA Health Care System. The work involves the planning and delivery of customer support services. The primary duties and responsibilities include providing Point of Care Customer Service, resolving customer related technical software and hardware problems in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Incumbent serves as an IT Specialist (Customer Support), you will provide a variety of Information Technology (IT) customer support services essential to the effective performance of Veterans Administration (VA) Systems. The work involves the planning and delivery of technical support services, including troubleshooting, installation, removals, moves, systems knowledge and assistance in response to customer requirements. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring Help Desk tracking and asset Information is accurate.
- Ensuring organized data closets when adding or removing patch cabling.
- Supporting telecommunications systems configurations related to Moves, Adds, and Changes (MAC).
- Diagnosing and resolving problems in response to customer reported incidents.
- Investigating and recommending purchase of tools and technologies to improve responsiveness to customer requirements.
- Managing moves and/installations of IT equipment to assure coordination of IT support and customer service.
- Providing feedback on problematic trends and patterns in technical support to team leads and/or supervisor.
- Developing and maintaining problem tracking and resolution databases ensuring accurate records are filed.
- Installing and configuring VA approved software applications
Telework: Ad Hoc
Position Description Title/PD#: 15263-A GS-07/15264-A GS-09/15265-A GS-11
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Management may select at any grade level.
Physical Requirements: The work is both sedentary and active, requiring walking through out the medical center, Regional Office, and other supported locations. Duties may require lifting, carting and carrying computer equipment such as monitors and printers weighing 20-40 pounds. Asking assistance from other specialist to help with lifting is encouraged. There may be limited crawling under desks and behind areas to gain access to equipment.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel - This travel is to provide needed support to remote VA locations throughout the geographic area assigned. This support extends to all VA customers - VHA, VBA, DMC, NCA, Vet Centers, and state-run facilities (cemeteries, extended care homes/facilities, etc.) within our area of operations.Supervisory status No Promotion Potential 11