Medical Technician - Phlebotomist
This position is located within the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (P&LMS) at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System in Minneapolis, MN. The Medical Technician - Phlebotomist performs phlebotomy in the inpatient, outpatient, and extended care areas of the hospital and also performs a variety of computer, customer service, specimen processing, instruction, and communications tasks.
- Uses proper patient identification and specimen labeling, collects blood or urine specimens and ensures safe, non-traumatic processes are used to maintain patient safety and assure specimen quality;
- Performs blood collection using a variety of phlebotomy techniques, including vacutainer system, syringe, butterfly or capillary finger sticks with a minimal number of failures, patient bruising, or required repeat collection;
- Identifies medical tests that require special handling conditions and appropriately performs proper specimen collection;
- Applies knowledge of human anatomy to be able to recognize medical devices that may be inserted in patient arms and adapts procedures to assure that the blood sample is not contaminated by IV fluids;
- Applies knowledge of emergency care procedures and can initiate them in the event of a patient has a reaction to the blood collection procedure, including fainting, hematoma, and anxiety;
- Ensures only in-date supplies are used, rotates supplies appropriately to minimize waste and discards expired supplies appropriately (biohazard, sharps, or routine waste containers);
- Operates the pneumatic tube system to transport specimens to the main laboratory;
- Performs preventative maintenance, instrument troubleshooting, repair and calibration for waived testing instrumentation as required;
- Operates the hospital and laboratory computer systems to perform the duties of the position;
- Receives lab orders, removes canceled tests from accession, adds tests to an accession or reorders tests to correct ordering errors;
- Provides education to patients regarding the collection of blood samples and potential complications and other collection requirements as needed
- Obtains required pre-analytical information from patients;
- Provides patient-centered care and excellent customer service to patients, visitors, and other members of the health care team; and
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Designated Drug-Testing Position: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status No Promotion Potential 4