Systems Engineer I
6 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Systems Engineer I
Posted Date 3 weeks ago(7/26/2018 10:43 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300026
Department/Unit Information Technology Services - ITS
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Systems Engineer I position within the Information Technology Services Department.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
Employees in this position serve as technical experts and participate in or oversee a variety of analytical and technical assignments that provide for incident problem diagnosis and solutions documentation, planning, implementation, administration, monitoring, and maintenance of a variety of hardware, software, and network products in support of services key to University strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations.
This position will serve as technical lead on projects, assist leadership in determining technical architecture for both on premise and cloud based environments, and build and maintain collaborative relationships with St. Thomas academic/business units, external vendors, and other departments within ITS.
This position is responsible for 24X7 support of systems and services.
1. Provide technical, operational, and vendor management expertise to ensure the effective and secure delivery of infrastructure services in concert with St. Thomas strategic initiatives:
- Install, configure, test, and maintain on-premises and cloud solutions working with application vendors and providers and St. Thomas stakeholders
- Document processes, service levels, systems and inventory; update and refine as necessary in support of continuous improvement
- Establish and maintain monitoring and service metrics to ensure that systems and support processes meet defined service levels and contribute to operational intelligence
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Coordinate with ITS peers to ensure resolution of reported issues according to defined service levels
- Establish and maintain key academic/business and vendor relationships
- On-call responsibility and participation in Change Management and Incidents events outside of regular business
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
2. Be proficient with and follow the ITS Project Management process
- Serve in technical lead and/or consultative role
3. Be proficient with and follow ITS procedures for communication updates and guidelines, incident and problem tracking, installation and inventory, and knowledge base.
4. Remains current on information about higher education and technology industry trends. Performs other duties as assigned.
5. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, management or a field related to the work plus one year of professional experience with infrastructure/enterprise systems and support (totaling five years cumulative experience and education).
- Or, an Associate's degree in computer science plus three years of experience with infrastructure/enterprise systems and support (totaling five years cumulative experience and education).
- Previous experience in a higher education/instruction institute
Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux based environments.
Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g.,Tomcat, Apache, Java).
Cloud experience, preferably in AWS.
Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box).
Experience with monitoring systems.
Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef, Terraform).
Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Python).
Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP, firewalls, and load balancing).
Technical competence and a broad-based understanding of information technology.
Knowledge of ITIL practices; certification preferred
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer