The Minneapolis VA Health Care System (VAHCS) is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services with state-of-the-art technology, as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care and long-term care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics and extended care.
The position of Health Technician provides clinical and administrative support in a wide variety of patient care and related activities in the Emergency Department (ED) at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System. The purpose of this position is to be a productive team member carrying out and ensuring quality and timely delivery of care. The incumbent must possess the personal qualities, desire and attitude necessary to adapt to rapidly changing demands on time and workload and have necessary skills to perform specific tasks/tests/procedures to meet patient healthcare needs.
The selectee will be responsible for providing clinical and administrative support in a wide variety of patient care and related activities in the Emergency Department (ED) at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center. This position is part of a productive team carrying out and ensuring quality and timely delivery of care.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Obtains and documents patients' vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiration, weight, oxygen saturation and orthostatic vital signs).Able to set-up and use electronic thermometers, vital sign measurement equipment and pulse oximetry. Recognizes and reports abnormal values to RN or ED physician staff.
- Initiates cardiac monitoring correctly, and is able to print vital sign history.
- Prepares patient for and obtains 12 lead ECGs; provides privacy and emotional support during test.
- Recognizes certain abnormalities in the ECG strip, e.g. premature ventricular contractions, tachycardia, brachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, etc; notifies the RN or physician immediately.
- Able to retrieve and print patient 12 lead EKGs from computer system (CPRS - VISTA imaging)/or EKG database via modem.
- Performs venipuncture to obtain serum blood samples and blood cultures as ordered according to policy and procedures.
- Collects, labels and sends laboratory specimens as ordered according to policy and procedure.
- Performs finger stick blood glucose testing and documents and reports results according to policy and procedure. Takes appropriate action for critical values.
- Facilitates maintaining charts and patient tracking information board.
- Empties and records drainage from Foleys, drains and suction canisters.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: 60284-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status No Promotion Potential 5