Physician Assistant -Ely, MN CBOC
The Ely Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) has an opening for a part-time Physician Assistant. CBOCs within the Minneapolis VA Health Care System provide care to Veterans near their home town and serve over 18,000 Veterans throughout Minnesota and Western Wisconsin. The Minneapolis VA Health Care System (VAHCS) is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services with state-of-the-art technology, as well as education and research.
Scope of Practice Core Elements
The PA is authorized to perform the following tasks on a regular and ongoing basis for the care of the Primary Care patient assigned to the PA and veterans enrolled in the VA Health Care System. These duties may be performed without specific prior discussion with the collaborating physician:
- Obtaining medical histories and performing physical examinations.
- Documenting progress notes and summaries in the patient record, and writing patient orders on assigned patients.
- Providing and coordinating medical care for assigned patients in the primary care setting, including establishing diagnoses, formulating and implementing care plans, and providing follow-up care.
- Evaluating outpatients to determine the need for further health care and refer accordingly.
- Ordering diagnostic studies and other special tests, such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Computerized Tomography (CT) scans, etc.
- Carrying out health promotion, disease prevention, and patient education activities according to CDC and VA guidelines.
- Ordering or obtaining laboratory specimens.
- Ordering ancillary services such as pharmacy, social services, physical medicine and rehabilitation therapies, prosthetic services, etc.
- Ordering VA specialty service consults and initiating requests for non-VA medical care and consults in accordance with VHA and MVAHCS policy and procedures.
- Ordering patient care supplies.
- Writing orders for, or prescribing medications.
- Providing education and counseling of patients and families in preventive care, medical conditions, and the use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Performing minor procedures such as suturing, simple dermatology procedures and joint injections based on competency validation
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position. Travel is required for training(s) and orientation.Supervisory status No Promotion Potential 13