Geology Laboratory Coordinator
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Geology Laboratory Coordinator
Posted Date 1 month ago(1 month ago)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300121
Department/Unit Geology - CAS
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Geology Laboratory Coordinator within the College of Arts & Sciences.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The geology lab coordinator will be expected to support geology department students and faculty by teaching and providing support on campus and in field experiences for both faculty and students. This will include:
- Teaching one full course or its equivalent each semester.
- Mastering University administrative systems for purchasing and safety.
- Supporting the academic program as the point person for logistics of multi-day off campus field exercises.
- Maintaining labs and equipment in a safe and functional manner.
- Supporting students through training of lab and field skills.
- Teach up to 1 course or its equivalent per semester. This may include teaching lab sections in introductory courses and/or teaching an entire course based on departmental needs, and/or candidate's interest and expertise.
- Academic program support
- Manage non-academic logistics of field camp and other off-campus field experiences that require geological expertise; participate in some of these field experiences as a co-instructor on an as-needed and as-available basis
- Assist geology faculty in setting up labs and field exercises
- Manage student worker(s) in lab set up
- Order and purchase supplies and other materials to support lab, field, and research programs. May also include construction of physical models, demos, and other custom apparatus for teaching purposes
- Lab and equipment maintenance
- Maintain field, lab, and computing equipment
- In addition to our own instrumentation, develop working knowledge of Macalester College Keck lab facilities and instrumentation
- Supervise student workers to maintain lab spaces in a clean and safe status and to keep facilities ready for student and faculty use
- Serve on the Lab Safety Committee to ensure our spaces and instrumentation meet safety standards
- Student support
- Assist students in the completion of research projects
- Train students in lab, computer, and field techniques on an as-needed basis in order to complete research projects. This may also include informal advising of the Geology Club.
- Bachelor's degree in geology or a related field
- Two years of experience in a laboratory setting or a similar experience
- M.A. or M.S
- Knowledge of Geochemical techniques and instrumentation, geological field methods, and rock preparation techniques
- Proficient with Excel and other software packages, (e.g. statistical packages, ArcGIS, Matlab, Stella, etc.)
- The ability to work in and move about an office/lab setting.
- The ability to use a computer and other office equipment.
- The ability to accompany faculty on field lab experiences, and be capable of heavy lifting and manual labor.
- The ability to commute to offsite locations.
- The ability to read printed materials and a computer screen.
- The ability to communicate in person and over the telephone.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who require and request accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.