Area Director- First Year Complex
7 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
St. Catherine University invites applications for a Area Director in the Residence Life Department.
The Area Director is responsible for facilitating the development of a living-learning environment in a residence hall and apartment complex of approximately 300 students. The Area Director is also responsible for the supervision, evaluation, and development of one Residence Coordinator (Graduate Students) and three International Scholars-In-Residence, will co-supervise 13 student staff and the over-sight of 25 desk assistants with a focus on student interaction, community development, learning and engagement. The Area Directors are expected to be known, visible and active residents within the Residence Life Program and the University of St. Catherine Community by interacting with residents on a regular basis, providing information and assistance concerning academic issues, peer conflicts and personal concerns. This position may have incumbent reside on campus with housing provided or off campus with housing at the employee's expense. This is a full time year round position.
Primary responsibilities :
• Responsible for the operations of the first year residence halls.
• Supervise, train and evaluate one Residence Coordinator (graduate student) and three Scholars-In-Residence (faculty).
• Co-Supervise, select, train and evaluate one undergraduate Assistant Coordinator, and 12 Resident Advisors in three residence halls.
• In coordination with the Residence Coordinator, conduct weekly staff meetings and professional development.
• Meet individually with each RA minimally once a month.
• Work with students and staff through student advising, referral, mediation, and student conduct.
• Serve as a liaison to Facilities, Security, and other campus offices.
• Serve on the First Year Registration Committee and attend First Year Registration events (up to five events per year.
• Assist with department wide responsibilities such as room preview, fall move-in, housing sign up, staff selection, etc.
• Participate as a member of the Student Affairs staff and in appropriate professional organizations such as the Association of Twin Cities College Housing Administrators or UMR-ACUHO.
• Serve as the professional staff on duty approximately one week per month and coordinate emergency response as needed, which may include coordination with off-campus partners such as local hospitals.
• Serve as a formal hearing officer and assign educational sanctions.
• Assist in general maintenance and upkeep of the residence halls.
• Plan and implement monthly programs within the residence halls.
• Responsible for MAP-Works coordination, marketing, training, and reporting for residents in the first-year complex, which includes meeting with students in significant retention, risk.
• Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Residence Life or that assist the overall Residence Life Team.
• Select, train and supervise the Program Coordinator and three Program Assistants to assist with planning department wide programs such as Citizen Katie, Dew Drop Bop, off-campus events, community service programs and other department-wide weekend programs. Serve as the University Liaison on the Alumnae Outreach Committee.
• Co-Coordinate the summer conference and summer housing programs which includes hiring and training 6-8 students staff, holding weekly staff meetings, working closely with Meeting and Event Services and any summer conference contact and serve as the professional staff point person for half of the scheduled conferences. Working closely with the Housing Assignments and Information Specialist, facilitate the summer resident housing operation such as move-in, move-out, resident issues and concerns.
• Coordinate the Graduate Student and Area Director selection process which include OPE and on-campus interview logistics.
• Plan and implement the Residence Life Student Staff training, evaluation and recognition process, which includes summer, winter and spring training and monthly staff in-services.
Living Learning Communities:
• Meet weekly with Resident Advisor's, AMP students and Faculty Scholars responsible for Living Learning Communities.
• Co-Supervise, select, train and evaluate four Assistant Mentorship Program (AMP) students who provide academic support to the Emerging Scholars Floor.
• Partner with faculty and the RA for the floors to develop a curricular and programming model that encourages active participation in learning and community development.
• Initiate regular meetings and planning sessions with the faculty partner and the resident advisor to set goals and evaluate the program.
• Assist with assessment of student satisfaction, learning, and socialization within the communities.
• Select, train, and evaluate staff assigned to work with these Living Learning Communities.
• Assist with marketing and promoting communities to increase participation.
• Report on progress of community to department and other constituents.
Special/Other Requirements Summary
• Bachelor's Degree Required, Master's Degree Preferred.
• 2-3 years residence life experience is preferred along with significant experience supervising and advising undergraduate staff.
• Excellent supervisory, organizational, oral and written communication skills and a commitment to leadership for women and diversity.
• This position requires someone who can work as part of an on-call rotation and commit many weekend/evening hours in addition to the normal work schedule, is committed to leadership for women, and has a strong commitment to supporting our diverse student body.
To apply: : Please visit the St. Catherine University Employment Site at http://www.stkate.edu/hr. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply, as are those who will contribute to a diverse candidate pool. Requisition number is #20180059-Staff. Applicants may also visit the St. Catherine University Human Resources office to submit an electronic application. We are located in Derham Hall, Room 8. Application review begins immediately, position open until filled.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer ~Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org