Project Engineer (Design Phase Engineer)
6 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Education Requirements: a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Management or power plant construction experience.
Experience: Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience.
The Design Phase Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating with individuals, managing engineering firms, processes and standards to ensure the company achieves reliable, quality and safe designs. This person will be responsible for leading the design process through IFC design. This person will be responsible for managing 3rd party engineering firms, working with Blattner Energy Internal Engineering, and being the project lead in all aspect of project design. This person will align and work with the construction team to ensure they have necessary design information, quantities and parameters to build the work. Including supporting the project design by ensuring design meets the contractual, technical, safety, and quality requirement from Client, Company and Industry Specifications and Standards. This person will travel to support the site team and lead design reviews as required. This person will not manage the construction activities performed on project site.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage and direct multiple 3rd party design firms working towards Issued for Construction Drawings for Electrical, Civil and Structural designs.
- Coordinate and lead design reviews at each design milestone. Design reviews will likely include owner, Company and 3rd party personnel.
- Perform the overall coordination and integration of technical activities in engineering projects and services. Direct, review, or approve project designs and technology integration.
- Responsible for generation of design documents for the construction team to work from utilizing 3rd party engineers as Engineer of Record. The goal is to design, model and optimize generation systems so that system meets or exceeds what was proposed to the owner.
- Work with project managers to facilitate design understanding as start of construction occurs. Ensure there is understanding on the intent of the design and how the design will be audited throughout.
- Seek opportunities to add value to project. Perform economic analysis / value engineering to determine cost effective solutions and prepare written recommendations. Ensure value engineering is incorporated into future designs.
- Manage 3rd party engineering resources to ensure deadlines are met and the construction team has the necessary engineering information to produce a high quality project design on schedule.
- Maintain and manage engineering schedules and budgets to meet the requirements of the project. Have a full understanding of time and resource management to achieve results needed for project deadlines.
- Review and approve materials to be used on the project by attaining Engineer of Record Approvals or other resources available.
- Ensure takeoffs are complete and accurate for material procurement.
- Nurture and maintain key professional relationships with utilities, owners, engineering firms, energy subject matter experts and others.
- Coordinate and lead regularly scheduled calls between applicable parties.
- Assure projects are designed and constructed in compliance with all applicable safety standards including ASTM, NESC, NEC, NFPA and others.
- Ensure design deliverables are received in time to support procurement and project schedule.
- Acts as a technical resource for project construction teams.
Other Job Responsibilities
- Ensure that each design is developed with due consideration for installation, maintenance and repair.
Review implications of project changes and make recommendations.
- Recognize impacts design changes have in regards to cost. Share impacts with project management and procurement team.
- Perform economic analysis / value engineering to determine cost effective solutions and prepare written recommendations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Administration and Management: Knowledge of business and management principals involved in pla
nning, resource allocation, leadership, production methods and coordination of people/resources.
Customer Service: Knowledge and skills for providing best in class customer service including needs assessment, quality and safety standards, and to achieve overall customer satisfaction.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Consider the relative costs, benefits and impacts of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Responsibility for Outcomes and Results: Must ensure there are outcome and results from the work performed and those resources that work for you.
Electrical power engineering principles and familiarity with computer and analytical tools as relate to equipment sizing, load flow and power quality.
Self-motivated and work well with others, possess a positive attitude, have a commitment to work safely, provide quality customer service, create customer satisfaction and work productively.
Ability to monitor and assess the performance of yourself, other individuals or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Preferred Registered Professional Engineer(PE) status or qualified to take test.
In depth knowledge of equipment and practices used in power plant construction.
Extensive Travel may be Required
Ability to maintain an acceptable motor vehicle driving record.