The incumbent is an integral part of a large comprehensive Occupational Therapy (OT) Service at the Minneapolis VAMC. This is a Complexity Level 1a facility with a National Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center (PRC), a Spinal Cord Injury and Neurological Disease Center (SCI/D), an Amputation Regional Center (ARC), a Polytrauma Transitional Rehabilitation (PTRP) program and a Polytrauma Network Site (PNS). This therapist is assigned to the Community Living Center (CLC) program.Responsibilities
The CLC responsibilities are focused on maximizing performance of Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs). Patients often have complex medical, physical, social or psychiatric problems. They range in age from young adult throughout the life span. However, patients on CLC tend to be elderly which may slow the rate of recovery. Specialized skills and knowledge of care and treatment of the elderly patient and at times amputations are used to develop individualized rehabilitation goals and objective
Additional duties and responsibilities are consistent with usual OT clinic operations such as:
- Evaluation of home safety and equipment needs with regard to psychosocial factors, physical conditions and cognitive status.
- Treatment for general strengthening as well as teaching new skills.
- Applies knowledge of occupational therapy theory, practice skills and techniques.
- Works closely with COTA staff who often carry out treatment plans developed by the OTR.
- Communication with patients, significant others, the treatment team for quality patient care.
- Utilizes knowledge of Adaptive Equipment and environmental adaptations with all patients seen, seeks out additional options for patients as needed.
- Independently develops and implements treatment plan based on evaluation results in primary care areas. Provides periodic re-evaluation throughout the treatment process.
- Incumbent completes documentation in a manner consistent with the facilities requirements, including timeliness and completeness.
- Participates in training of level 2 OT students as needed to provide coverage for primary therapist within the department.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 7:30 am-4:00 pm.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status No Promotion Potential 11