Days: TBD - based on business needs
Hiring rate or hiring range: $45,000 - $53,000 based on qualifications
The Communications Coordinator is a key position for the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community (SMSC) and its enterprises as it assists in creating awareness of the SMSC and helping execute the marketing communications strategy for the tribe and its various enterprises. In addition to fostering new and existing relationships for the SMSC through various channels, including but not limited to tradeshows, sponsored booths/events, community outreach, tours, and more, the Communications Coordinator assists the communications team in creating clear, engaging copy to drive successful marketing campaigns and public relations initiatives. This role requires the ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with a team, while proactively communicating and seeking appropriate approvals. The Communications Coordinator consistently seeks opportunities to promote a positive image of the SMSC and develop relations with local businesses, organizations, and the larger community.
Assists in preparing and maintaining the budget for tradeshows including reporting variances, manually input data and create post reports along with providing documentation on expenses as they relate to Communications Coordinator role.
- Create awareness of and seek opportunities to secure new business for the SMSC and its enterprises at networking events, luncheons, door-to-door introductions, tours of facilities, phone calls, written communications, and more.
- Coordinate all aspects of on- and off-site event exhibits and projects while multitasking and meeting deadlines. Event coordination includes securing space, creating staffing schedule, confirming details with clients, setting up and tearing down booth, and, most importantly, working the event. Events and projects include but are not limited to: industry meetings, tradeshows, festivals, and more.
- Coordinate and conduct tours of the reservation to create awareness of the SMSC and its enterprises. Tour coordination includes securing necessary approvals, creating an itinerary, confirming details with tour participants, securing transportation/meals, and escorting the group on-site.
- Assist in drafting clear and concise content for a variety of channels (e.g., posters, blog posts, web copy, emails, press releases, etc.) on behalf of the SMSC's various enterprises and internal departments.
- Proofread marketing materials to ensure correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, and department style standards.
- Other duties as assigned, to include: attending various SMSC events, assisting the communications team with interviews, gathering information for potential stories, and other marketing duties as needed.
Must meet one of the following criteria:
A four-year degree in marketing, mass communications, journalism, English or related field plus one year of relevant experience.
A two-year degree in marketing, mass communications, journalism, English or related field plus three years' relevant job experience. Five or more years' experience in sales or related field.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, research, and interviewing skills.
- Strong communication skills with experience and comfort speaking in front of groups.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Proficient in grammar and spelling.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to multitask under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must possess a valid driver's