Supervisory Dental Assistant
The supervisory dental assistant is responsible for the supervision, administrative management, and direction of dental assistants. May be delegated full administrative and professional responsibility for planning and directing the dental assisting activities for the service. They have full supervisory responsibility (three or more dental assistants) and assists the dental service chief in clinic operations, policy and performance standards development, equipment requests and workload analysis.Responsibilities
Supervises a team of employees at the GS-8 level or below.
- Provides guidance and technical direction necessary for accomplishing the work of the team. Assures compliance with VA policies.
- Plan and assigns work then makes adjustment in accordance with established priorities. Sets and adjusts short-term priorities. Approves leave for subordinates.
- Evaluates the individual performance, progress, and training needs of subordinate employees. Prepares performance appraisals and improvement plans when problems are identified.
- Issues minor disciplinary actions, such as warning and reprimands, Recommends other action in more serious cases.
- Interviews candidates for dental assistant positions, recommends appointment, promotion, or reassignment.
- Recommends awards or recognition of performance.
- Oversees the Systems Redesign Program to identify ways to improve production or improve quality.
- Monitors work in progress to ensure that the staff dental assistant's clinical performance meets the dentist's instructions. Confers with dental chief or supervisory dentist if unable to resolve major issues or problems.
- Identifies developmental and training needs of employees for specific tasks and job techniques. Trains employees in computerized dental patient record systems including generating patient consults, storing and viewing digital images, entry of diagnostic data and preparation of treatment planning.
- Arranges for training of team members, students and volunteers in the accomplishment of tasks or projects.
- Makes written instructions, reference materials, and relevant background material available.
- Ensures that the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are maintained.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the dental staff for Reusable Medical Equipment (RME).
- Trains and ensures compliance of dental staff in performing all SOPs.
- Serves as a dental point-of contact to coordinate dental care for complex patients. Serves as a liaison between the scheduler and the dentist to maintain efficient and productive use of the dentists' patient care time and minimize missed opportunities.
- Ensures that the dental station and treatment area are maintained in a clean and operational condition, that dental treatment area is set up and shut down each work day to maintain security of the clinic area and dental equipment.
- Monitors function of dental equipment and requests repair or replacement.
Not requiredSupervisory status Yes Promotion Potential 8