Work somewhere you love
Do you want to work for a company that truly values you as an employee and cares about you as a person? SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time we’ve expanded to over 20,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
SFM has an exciting opportunity for someone who is seeking to play an active role in the planning and execution of financial, operational, and technical audits across the organization. As the sole Internal Auditor, you will conduct internal audits in order to verify accuracy of records and compliance with best practice standards, policies and procedures. You will be responsible for compiling audit findings, while making recommendations for modifications and improvements to systems and procedures. You will present your findings at Board Audit Committee and full Board meetings when needed. SFM offers a robust benefit package.
- Assesses audit universe annually, sets internal audit plan and schedule subject to review and approval by the Board Audit Committee.
- Provides support and assistance to the external auditors.
- Plans, conducts, and manages internal audit process to complete full rotation every two to three years, based on a schedule approved by the Board Audit Committee, in order to verify accuracy of records and compliance with best practice standards, policies and procedures. For each internal audit performed, reports findings on systems and procedures being reviewed and makes recommendations on implementation.
- Verifies sequence integrity of claim check registers, and performs quarterly reporting for the same.
- Downloads potential terrorist list from OFAC monthly and runs this list against the internal systems to identify any potential terrorists and investigates any potential terrorist risk.
- Retains documentation for any complaints received pertaining to accounting practices, internal accounting controls or auditing matters as defined in the Company’s Code of Business Ethics.
- Manages the Company’s record retention program including an annual review of department compliance with the policy.
- Attends and presents at Board Audit Committee meetings and full Board meetings as requested.
- Conducts work on other projects related to internal controls or the audit function.
- Stay apprised of audit related functions and assist the Company with establishing best business practices as it relates to the audit function and assists with developing efficiencies through technology.
- Participates in industry associations and conferences related to the audit function.
We’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, mathematics, economics or related quantitative field.
- Three-plus years of professional experience including internal/external audit experience and or accounting; experience working in property and casualty or workers’ compensation insurance is a plus.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Professional Account (CPA) certification preferred.
- Exceptional math, accounting, financial analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to direct, prepare, and analyze complex reports and financial statements.
- Understanding of audit procedures, including planning, testing, reporting, and implementation.
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases.
- Ability to understand developments related to business matters of interest to internal audit, including legislation changes, new auditing techniques and practices.
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills along with a high degree of personal integrity.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to interact well with audit customers and company management.
- Demonstrate strong professional judgment, problem resolution, and critical thinking skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret policies, procedures, laws, regulations and guidelines.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLY! Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify.