Fleet Mechanic/Technician Days 7:00am-3:30pm
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: $23.66 - $26.00 / hr based on qualifications
Maintains, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance on SMSC-owned vehicles, including heavy equipment and small engines, to ensure safety and dependability. Fabricates materials for special projects. Ensures all vehicles and equipment are mechanically sound.
- Diagnoses and performs mechanical repairs on light- and medium- duty trucks, vans, buses, vehicles, heavy equipment, and small engine equipment owned and operated by the SMSC.
- Performs preventive maintenance on SMSC-owned vehicles, heavy-equipment, and small engine equipment.
- Completes Repair Orders ensuring that work performed and parts used are documented.
- Maintains shop areas and tools/diagnostic equipment to ensure safety and cleanliness. Tools are supplied by employer.
- Designs and fabricates tools and equipment.
- Occasional tasks.
- A combination of education and experience as a mechanic dealing with all types of vehicles and equipment to equal four years.
- High School graduate or GED.
- Knowledge of mechanical diagnostic tools and equipment.
- Valid driver's license required with good driving record.
- Industrial Truck Driving permit may be required (forklift).
- Basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of small engine repair.
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Outside work 25% of time.
- On feet or standing 75% of time
- Exposure to fumes and odors
- Conducts test drives on repaired vehicles.
- May require use of forklift