Health Technician Ophthalmology
The Ophthalmology Health Technician will work in the Specialty Care Service Line at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System to support Optometrist in diagnosis, treatment, follow-up care and patient counseling. As an integral team member devoted to provide the best possible care to our nation's veterans, you enable staff of the Minneapolis VA to meet our mission. This position encompasses a variety of multi-step, complex technical duties and reports to the Eye Clinic Manager.Responsibilities
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Intake of clinic patients to include: obtain a medical, surgical, family and social eye history, review the current medication list, screen for patient allergies and document clinical data.
- Measure and record visual acuities.
- Administer eye drops per Eye Clinic protocol.
- Assist the Ophthalmologist during minor ophthalmic surgical procedures.
- Clean, disinfect, calibrate, inventory and order instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Obtain quotes as needed, and report needed repairs to biomedical engineering.
- Measure intraocular pressure with tonopen, or applanation tonometer tip.
- Perform visual field testing.
- Perform color vision testing, glare and brightness testing.
- Follow all VA, federal government and Joint Commission regulations, directives and policies for patient privacy and confidentiality, for computer security, and in compliance with the JC National Patient Safety Goals.
Work Schedule: Full Time Administrative Days
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Not requiredSupervisory status No Promotion Potential 8