Strategic Intelligence Lead
3 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Description: Strategic Intelligence LeadPRIMARY FUNCTIONThe Strategic Intelligence and Insights team is responsible for leading the overall market insights and intelligence which informs the enterprise strategy, planning, and portfolio decisions. Informing these decisions, the team must develop and maintain a proactive understanding of rapidly evolving market, consumer, and industry forces along with strategic and tactical choices of key and adjacent competitors. The team must then be able to interpret these external factors and their potential impact on Target, its strategy, and planned tactics. The Strategic Intelligence Lead, as part of the Strategic Intelligence and Insights team, will be responsible for a select set of outputs which collectively - alongside the rest of the team - deliver on the team's objective.KEY OBJECTIVESThe candidate will be responsible for delivering one or more of the below key objectives:
- Serve as a trusted expert in strategic intelligence and insights by developing and maintaining deeply synthesized intelligence on industry and consumer trends along with competitive strategies that could cause disruption or opportunistic moments for Target.
- Create and manage the development and execution of research methodologies to address advanced business and technical problems in support of data-driven decision making.
- Leverage depth and breadth of internal and external data sources for insights development and serve as a shared resource across Strategy and Insights pyramid and broader enterprise to help refine research or analytics approaches.
- Collaborate and coordinate with key business partners to curate and integrate intelligence while driving deeper understanding and impact of market trends and competitive moves.
- Deliver proactive and actionable synthesis of macro industry, consumer, competitive, and market trends to Target's Leadership Team and key business partners.
- Leverage consumer, market, competitive, industry, market, and financial data and analysis to develop and maintain intelligence about key and emerging trends.
- Serve as a trusted expert and consultant in proactively developing insights and intelligence in service of Target's existing and future strategic direction.
- Organize research, analyze raw information from multiple sources, remove bias, and structure clear actionable insights to strategic business issues.
- Maintain and elevate relationships with internal and external data providers and key industry experts/ sources of intelligence. Understand strengths and limitation of each and consult cross-functionally on appropriate use of each.
- Develop specific scenarios based on insights and assess Target's strategy against probable outcomes through intelligence gathering, research, and analytics. Support scenario planning and war gaming to pressure-test Target's strategies against market and competitive actions.
- Lead insight driven conversations with Leadership Team and other key leaders across the organization to challenge assumptions, provoke new ideas, and influence strategic portfolio development.
- Integrate with enterprise planning process to ensure proper focus on external factors, trends, and intelligence across key leaders (especially Leadership Team).
- Ensure constant and widespread understanding of trends and external factors across S&I pyramid and with key partners across Target.
- Maintain pulse on adjacent opportunities being considered within Target.
- Reports to Director Strategic Intelligence and Insights.
- Ongoing working relationships with all S&I teams (Enterprise Strategy Development, New Ventures and Accelerators, Business Development), and insights functions across the organization (including, but not limited to, Guest Center of Excellence, PD&D Product Insights, Finance, Risk, Marketing, and Merchandising).
- Other key relationships with Operational Excellence, Stores, Properties, Digital, HR, and CSR.
- Other relationships as dictated by role, including but not limited to strategic portfolio/ initiative owners.
- Proven ability to translate data and intelligence into meaningful unbiased insights through disciplined methodologies and analytical and conceptual frameworks.
- Independent ability to drive structure out of ambiguity, connect dots across disparate insights, and structure synthesized output.
- Diverse and rigorous problem-solving toolkit, inclusive of analytical, conceptual, and design thinking.
- Ability to find creative solutions and analogies to seemingly unsolvable problems.
- Firm understanding of all relevant insights and intelligence sources within scope for Target's enterprise business; deep understanding of the most relevant sources, including strengths and limitations of each (Kantar, Forrester, Mintel, CB Insights, GLG, IRI, NPD, etc.)
- General understanding of internal insights teams, their purposes, collected insights, processes, applications, clients, etc. - including strengths and limitations of each.
- Clear understanding of Retail and Target business model and capabilities, including strengths and weaknesses of both.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including through storytelling, succinct presentations, and thoughtful questioning.
- Understanding and application of diverse set of engagement tools, inclusive of presentation, immersion, and co-creation.
- Broad understanding of Target's strategic planning process; general understanding of the strategy development process, innovation tools, and business development.
- Ability to quickly establish trust and credibility with leaders across all levels within Target.
- 4-year college degree with minimum 5 years of experience driving strategic business insights; MBA degree with one to three years of post-MBA work experience highly desired.
- Prior experience in engagement/ project leadership with a top management consulting firm or in a Fortune 100-level corporate strategy group; otherwise must demonstrate through external accomplishments an exceptional track record in the retail or CPG industry.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills and ability to synthesize and clearly communicate complex findings to focus on critical issues and actionable opportunities.
- Ability to work both independently and lead cross-functional teams
- Ability to assimilate information quickly and to learn/ follow a systematic approach to strategic problem solving: define/ reframe key questions, develop hypotheses, structure quantitative and qualitative analyses to develop insights, formulate well-founded recommendations, and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels of the organization, including senior executives.
- Demonstrated success working closely with senior executive leaders, including influencing without authority
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a strong ability to tell compelling business and result stories.
- Innate curiosity and desire to learn with a strong inclination to drive for results in ambiguous spaces.