Research Librarian - School of Law
Research Librarian - School of Law
Posted Date 2 weeks ago(10/9/2018 12:32 PM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 330109
Department/Unit Law Library - School of Law
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Research Librarian position within the School of Law's library.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
The research librarian supports the mission of the School of Law by providing in depth research support for faculty scholarship and teaching; providing research assistance and guidance to law school students, staff and members of the university and legal communities; teaching legal research; and assisting with a variety of other job-related projects and tasks as requested. This position requires a strong interest and commitment to teaching legal research skills essential to the practice of law, developing in depth knowledge of the Law School's curriculum, faculty research interests, library operations, legal information resources, research methodologies in all formats along with an understanding and support for educational technology as well as experience using and familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Provide research support for faculty scholarship and teaching
- Collaborate with other law librarians to develop, expand, and provide library services including reference and research services
- Teach as part of the Library's instructional program (teaching and curriculum development accounts for 20 – 30% of librarian duties.)
- Assist with other library and law school projects as requested. Examples include: preparing research guides to information resources and library services; assisting with collection development; supporting the library's internal and external websites; working with the Digital Repository; improving job processes and workflow; serving on library, law school, or university committees as requested and approved
The University of St. Thomas School of Law is located at the University's downtown Minneapolis campus in the heart of the city.
School of Law Academic Excellence
- Best professors: As a whole, the St. Thomas law school faculty has landed in the top 10 on Princeton Review's "Best Professors" list for five of the last seven years.
- Outstanding classroom instruction: In 2011, Dean Robert Vischer was named to National Jurist's list of "23 Law Profs to Take Before You Die."
- Scholarly impact: Out of 200 law schools nationwide, St. Thomas School of Law's world-class faculty rank #23 for scholarly impact (2018), using the methodology developed by University of Chicago law professor Brian Leiter.
- Best LL.M. academics: The LL.M. in U.S. Law program at St. Thomas received an A rating for academics on International Jurist's 2017 List of Best LL.M. Programs.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
- Master's degree in Library Science (MLS or accredited equivalent)
- Two (2) years of professional law library experience
- Must be willing and able to share evening and weekend work
- J.D. preferred
- Knowledge of electronic tools used in research, reference, and instructional work, such as LibGuides
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer