Principal Researcher - UX & Accessibility
JOIN US AS A PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER - UX & ACCESSIBILITY The Principal Researcher is responsible for building empathy for the Target Guest throughout the product development lifecycle for Target's web, app and registry product teams. As a pivotal member the Target's UX and Accessibility team, this team member will support Product Designers, Product Managers and Engineering for a broad set of digital and in-store experiences. Research projects, in cooperation with product teams and additional researchers, span future-thinking discovery projects, lean UX research to support product team needs, and design validation testing to enable Guest empathy and understanding throughout our development lifecycle and constant optimization.The principal researcher will translate research insights into powerful stories that help shape product design and development and garner leader's support within the team. You utilize quantitative and qualitative research methods and know when to use one or the other. Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. Take the lead as you…
- Together with UX and Product team leadership, understand and support the strategic direction of the company and the digital teams' businesses through research and discovery.
- Ensure relevance and quality of insights through thoughtful assessment of risk, establishment of clear success criteria, and the use of methodology based on sound research principles and practices.
- Advocate for the guest by driving research at the core of product development. Serve as a catalyst to educate, accelerate, and activate product design and development to be masters of guest needs and apply that into their product designs.
- Continue to grow and innovate in the use of current and emerging Lean UX Research techniques and tools.
- Serve as a leader within product teams (design, engineering) throughout the research project life cycle - recommending appropriate methodology, scoping, and coordinating the entire process, facilitating in-field research and post-research synthesis through analysis.
- Act as a strategic thought partner and provide expert guidance in leading, conducting, and synthesizing qualitative research projects - including, but not limited to: in person moderated testing, remote moderated & unmoderated testing, surveys, heuristic reviews, benchmark studies, concept testing, online & in-store intercepts, ethnographies, shop-alongs.
- Lead synthesis and analysis of research findings - activating the insights gleaned through observations and interviews and identifying key opportunity and whitespace areas.
- Upon completion, conducts a thorough analysis of data to generate insights and recommendations aligned with corporate strategic directions. Delivers findings to the team in a compelling, storytelling way - either via an executive report (including supplementary data, photos, and videos) and presentation.
- 7 + years of experience practicing UX design research for digital product teams.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to use company strategy as a guidepost to execute on research projects to support that strategy.
- Passion for coaching others - both directly indirectly - and developing team capabilities
- Ability to push yourself and your partners out of their comfort zone in a healthy manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to cross functional partners
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; comfortable speaking to a diverse group of people and leading conversations to discover research insights.
- A strong ability to tell compelling stories from data.
- Comfortable within ambiguity with the ability to prioritize; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects (both small and large) and adjust to changing priorities
- Strong project management skills - experience managing multiple projects at various stages in the project life cycle.
- Experience running, recruiting, moderating and analysis of online panels and thinking strategically about their application.
- Proficient in Powerpoint, Outlook, Word and other MS Office software.
- Expertise in video editing software.
- 4 year degree in Anthropology, Social Science, Design Research, Psychology or related field
- Experience in Lean UX Research methods, including remote moderated & unmoderated testing, online & in-context (store) intercepts.
- Demonstrated understanding of accessibility user testing using assistive technologies