PHEASANTS FOREVER & QUAIL FOREVER
The Habitat Organization
Pheasants Forever Journal Editor
Location: Home Office, White Bear Lake, MN
Application deadline: February 5, 2018
Anticipated start date: April 1, 2018
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are non-profit organizations dedicated to the conservation of pheasants, quail and other wildlife through habitat improvements, public awareness, education, and land management policies and programs.
The Pheasants Forever Journal Editor will work closely with the Publications Design Director on the execution of the organization’s Pheasants Forever Journal and Forever Outdoors magazine. This includes writing about pheasant hunting, habitat, and conservation news; managing freelance submissions, and paginating each issue. The position requires a well-rounded candidate who is a self-starter and able to juggle multiple projects, successfully track details, adhere to deadlines, print production experience, and coach/manage employees. In addition to traditional print responsibilities, we’re looking for a dynamic personality who is comfortable as a public speaker, active on social media, and comfortable writing quick-turn online content.
The individual must have a flexible, can-do attitude and willingness to accept requests from multiple departments, staff, and members within the organization. Communication skills are very important and the individual needs to be exceptional multi-tasking projects while meeting deadlines. This individual must possess an awareness and responsibility for working within budget requirements on each project. This position will require overnight travel to remote hunts and will also be expected to participate in special events outside of typical business hours.
We’re looking for a person who is a safe and experienced pheasant hunter with an unblemished hunting record and high ethical standards. A person knowledgeable about habitat, conservation, the federal Farm Bill, pheasant culture, firearms, bird dogs, and wild game cooking is desired. The Pheasants Forever Journal Editor supervises the Publications Design Director, while working closely with the Quail Forever Editor & Brand Manager on the production of the Quail Forever Journal quarterly. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Marketing within the organization’s Marketing Department.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or the equivalent in work experience; this must include at least 6 or more years of professional writing or editing experience.
- Basic photography talent to support writing while on travel.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time and work in locations distant from the headquarters in St. Paul, MN.
- Experience managing and working with outside vendors, including seeking approvals, quotes and organizing delivery of assets for writing, photography, and printing.
- Time management skills and a can-do attitude with the ability to prioritize in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain an optimistic perspective and respond constructively to adversity and critique.
- Ability to work collaboratively with several individuals at numerous professional and experience levels.
- Ability to meet deadlines and proactively seek solutions to issues as they arise.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and self-motivated.
- Creates and manages the editorial calendar for four issues of the Pheasants Forever Journal, the PF & QF joint Upland Hunting SUPER issue, and four issues of Forever Outdoors.
- Assigns writing, photography, illustrations, infographics, etc. to freelancers in advance of each issue.
- Constructs the pagination of each issue of the Pheasants Forever Journal, Upland SUPER issue, and Forever Outdoors; including editorial and advertising.
- Responsible for writing columns and features in each issue of the Pheasants Forever Journal.
- Assists the Quail Forever Editor & Brand Manager in the production of the Quail Forever Journal quarterly.
- Edits all elements of each issue and is the final reviewer/approver of each issue before printing. Expert in grammar and AP Style.
- Shoots photos and occasionally video for a variety of events or programs in support of the publications and online platforms.
- Is a frequent contributor to the organization’s website and social media platforms.
- Accept direction well from a range of staff and responds professionally.
- Communicates effectively and professionally; handles multiple tasks and priorities; adheres to production timelines and budgets; meets all deadlines.
- Coordinates National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic’s “Show Program” annually.
- Works with Regional Representatives, field staff, chapter volunteers and members on various organization coverage.
- Assists at PF/QF functions as requested; including Game Fair, State Fairs, sport shows, golf tourneys, etc.
*Other duties may be assigned based on skills, knowledge and proficiencies
- Knowledge and passion for upland hunting, wildlife habitat, conservation, bird dogs and wild game cooking
- Knowledge of organization and chapter structure is a plus
- Knowledge of quail hunting, habitat and culture a plus
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or the equivalent in work experience; this must include at least 6 or more years of professional writing or editing experience.
Full Time, 80 hrs per pay period
Position is based at Pheasants Forever, Inc. headquarters in White Bear Lake, Minnesota (not negotiable).
$55,000 - $70,000 (depending upon experience), plus health & retirement benefits.
To Apply: Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as 1 Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled