Strategic Intelligence Lead, Enterprise Strategic Intelligence and Planning
Description: Strategic Intelligence LeadPRIMARY FUNCTIONThe Strategic Intelligence and Insights team is responsible for leading the overall market insights and intelligence which informs the enterprise strategy, planning, and portfolio decisions. Informing these decisions, the team must develop and maintain an innate understanding of macro market, consumer, industry, etc. forces, what strategic and tactical choices competitors are making and planning. The team does this through the compilation of internal and external data sources, then interpreting these and their potential impact on Target, its strategy, and planned tactics. The Strategic Intelligence Lead, as part of the Strategic Intelligence and Insights team, will be responsible for a select set of outputs which collectively - alongside the rest of the team - deliver on the team's objective.KEY OBJECTIVESThe candidate will be responsible for delivering one or more of the below key objectives:
- Be the experts in strategic intelligence and insights by maintaining constant, deep understanding and synthesized intelligence on market trends and competitive strategies.
- Deliver proactive and reactive synthesis of macro, industry, demographic, consumer, competitive, company trends to Target's Leadership Team and key business partners.
- Interact with S&I and business partners, including through competitive scenario planning and war gaming, to drive deep understanding and impact of market trends and competitive moves.
- Leverage internal and external data for insights development and as shared resource to S&I pyramid and enterprise.
- Coordinate across the S&I pyramid - especially Enterprise Strategy Development - to ensure strategic choices are made in the context of competitive and market intelligence.
- Leverage consumer, market, competitive, and financial data and analysis to develop and maintain intelligence about key and emerging competitors and trends.
- Develop specific retail market scenarios and assess Target's strategy against probable outcomes.
- Proactively develop market and competitive intelligence relevant to Target's strategic direction.
- Lead conversations about market and competitive environment with Leadership Team and other key leaders across the organization.
- Integrate market and competitive intelligence into strategic portfolio development with Leadership Team and key business partners.
- Run scenario planning and war gaming to pressure-test Target's strategies against market and competitive actions.
- Maintain deep understanding of strengths and limitation of internal teams and external insights providers to provide focused and synthesized view of relevant providers for S&I pyramid and beyond.
- Maintain and manage relationships with internal and external data providers and key industry experts/ sources of intelligence.
- Integrate with enterprise planning process to ensure proper focus on external factors, trends, and intelligence across key leaders (especially Leadership Team).
- Be an active thought partner for broader S&I pyramid, providing guidance on where to look and assisting in the development of a structured research plan.
- Provide on-boarding and training of the portfolio to team members within Enterprise Strategy.
- Ensure constant and widespread understanding of trends and external factors across all S&I pyramid.
- Maintain pulse on opportunities being considered within Target.
- Reports to Director Strategic Intelligence and Insights.
- Ongoing working relationships with all S&I teams (Enterprise Strategy Development, New Ventures and Accelerators, Business Development), and insights functions across the organization (including, but not limited to, Guest Center of Excellence, PD&D Product Insights).
- Other key relationships with Finance, Operational Excellence, Merchandising, Marketing, Stores, Digital.
- Other relationships as dictated by role, including but not limited to strategic portfolio/ initiative owners.
- Different approaches - from internal and external sources - to insights and intelligence gathering, including when to apply each.
- General understanding of all relevant insights and intelligence sources - both internal and external - within scope for Target's enterprise business; deep understanding of the most relevant sources, including strengths and limitations of each.
- Intimate understanding of internal insights teams, their purposes, collected insights, processes, applications, clients, etc. - including strengths and limitations of each.
- Deep understanding of Target's business model and capabilities, including strengths and weaknesses of both.
- Diverse and rigorous problem solving toolkit, inclusive of analytical, conceptual, and design thinking.
- Ability to quickly establish through leadership-driven trust and credibility with leaders across all levels within Target.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including through storytelling, succinct presentations, and thoughtful questioning.
- Independent ability to drive structure out of ambiguity, connect dots across disparate insights, and structure synthesized output.
- Ability to find creative solutions and analogies to seemingly unsolvable problems.
- Understanding and application of diverse set of engagement tools, inclusive of presentation, immersion, and co-creation.
- Deep understanding of Target's strategic planning process; general understanding of the strategy development process, innovation tools, and business development.
- 4-year college degree with minimum 5 years of experience driving strategic business insights; MBA degree with one to three years of post-MBA work experience highly desired.
- Prior experience in engagement/ project leadership with a top management consulting firm or in a Fortune 100-level corporate strategy group; otherwise must demonstrate through external accomplishments an exceptional track record in the retail or CPG industry.
- Proven ability to conduct research through various on-line / off-line tools to understand industry and competitive trends.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills and ability to synthesize and clearly communicate complex findings to focus on critical issues and actionable opportunities.
- Ability to work both independently and lead cross-functional teams
- Ability to assimilate information quickly and to learn/ follow a systematic approach to strategic problem solving: define/ reframe key questions, develop hypotheses, structure quantitative and qualitative analyses to develop insights, formulate well-founded recommendations, and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels of the organization, including senior executives.
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate highly complex findings in simple manner to focus on the critical issues and actionable opportunities
- Demonstrated success working closely with senior executive leaders, including influencing without authority
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a strong ability to tell compelling business and result stories.
- Innate curiosity and desire to learn with a strong inclination to drive for results in ambiguous spaces.