About JustUs Health
JustUs Health, formed through a merger between the Minnesota AIDS Project (MAP), and Rainbow Health Initiative (RHI), envisions a Minnesota where people from diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities experience health and wellness in powerfully inclusive environments. Founded in 1983, MAP is widely recognized for the impact of its prevention and support services for individuals living with HIV or at risk of HIV infection. RHI, founded in 2001, advances the health of the LGBTQ communities through research, education and advocacy. Together, JustUs Health will lead work to achieve health equity for diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, health, social science, education, or gender and women’s studies OR equivalent combination of work and life experience
- Knowledge of HIV, Hepatitis C and STI disease progression, prevention, resources, and services
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to connect with communities that are disproportionately impacted by HIV
- Ability to communicate information in an interesting, personable, and professional manner
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekend events
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation to travel in the metro and Greater MN, as required
- Experience in creating, executing community outreach and education programs
- Strong connection to communities disproportionately affected by HIV
- Strong connection to LGBTQ communities
Duties and Responsibilities:
JustUs Health provides education about HIV, Hepatitis C and STI disease progression, prevention, resources, and services in various community settings including but not limited to chemical dependency treatment programs, correctional facilities, homeless re-entry programs and others. The Community Education Assistant is expected to have excellent communication skills and represent the TEACH program professionally in each interaction.
Specific Duties Include:
- Maintain a current working knowledge of HIV, Hepatitis C and STI prevention, care, research and related programs and services including connections to chemical health.
- Provide community-level and professional level HIV and Hepatitis C education and outreach.
- Provide professional-level education regarding HIV and the connection to chemical health
- Provide community-level HIV and Hepatitis C presentations
- maintain professionalism and accountability while delivering educational sessions
- adjust presentation formats as needed to meet the needs of various audiences and to respond to unanticipated group dynamics.
- Attend Health Fairs to distribute HIV and Hepatitis C prevention education, actively engage with Health Fair participants and answer questions.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the volunteer speaker’s bureau
- Prepare training materials and coordinate training site needs for presentations.
- Communicate regularly with the Community Education Coordinator
- Assist in maintaining education tracking systems and reporting
- Willingness to continue education through research, literature review, workshops, and a general effort is made to keep up to date with current HIV information.
- Work collaboratively as a team member in order to ensure team cohesiveness and efficiency.
JustUs Health provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. People of color, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply.