JustUs Health, formed in 2018 through the merger of Minnesota AIDS Project (MAP) and Rainbow Health Initiative (RHI), envisions a Minnesota where people from diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities experience health and wellness in powerfully inclusive environments. Founded in 1983, MAP is widely recognized for the impact of its prevention and support services for individuals living with HIV or at risk of HIV infection. RHI, founded in 2001, advances the health of the LGBTQ communities through research, education and advocacy. Together, JustUs Health will lead work to achieve health equity for diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities.
JustUs Health (www.justushealth.mn) seeks a full-time Housing Specialist. The Housing Specialist position works with JustUs Health Housing Program. The Housing Program is a scattered-site transitional program for low income HIV Positive individuals and families. The program provides housing services to homeless and at risk of homelessness individuals. The program assists clients in obtaining and maintaining housing. Housing subsidies are provided to eligible individuals. The Housing Specialist provides housing education and referrals. This position provides support to individuals in family in the Twin Cities.
The JustUs Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities and GLBTQ persons.
Primary Duties / Responsibilities:
- Engage with clients one-on-one to develop rapport and build relationships.
- Conduct initial and on-going housing assessments.
- Develop actions plans in partnership with clients that clearly defined goals and action steps to achieve identified goals.
- Provide assistance with apartment searches and lease signing.
- Collaborate with HIV Medical Case Managers and community landlords.
- Maintain an understanding of program eligibility criteria, verification processes and documentation standards and complete documentation using electronic databases and on paper files.
- Provide referrals and education on renter’s rights and responsibilities.
- Work with clients on seeking permanent housing solutions.
- Facilitate rental subsidies.
- Support team members in work efforts through client consultation, coverage, referral education, etc.
- High school diploma required. An undergraduate or graduate degree in social work, public health, human services or nursing is preferred.
- Minimum of two years of employment experience providing social services in a job that involved carrying a caseload and the following duties: completing psychosocial assessments, providing interdisciplinary care coordination, identifying and referring to appropriate resources, developing and utilizing client-centered care plans and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise working with African American and multi-racial communities who are disproportionately impacted by HIV. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated capacity to identify/address and intervene on clients’ housing barriers.
- Background in housing and/or HIV, substance abuse and mental health.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise working with African American and multi-racial communities who are disproportionately impacted by HIV. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated comfort and skill in addressing Gay/Bi/MSM/Queer and Transgender health issues. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with HIV-positive people, and those engaged in risk behaviors for HIV in individual settings. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Comfort working independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s license is required. Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel independently throughout the state of Minnesota is required.