Director of Music Ministries
Unity-Unitarian Church of St. Paul, MN seeks a gifted and visionary musician to serve as full-time Director of Music Ministries, leading its thriving music program and developing its ministry for an even brighter future. The position offers a tremendous opportunity for artistic expression and growth.
The year-round music program at Unity includes 150+ volunteer musicians of all ages. Music is a vital part of every Unity worship service, and our dedication to music is evidenced perhaps most powerfully with an annual service wholly devoted to it. We believe the presentation of music is gift-giving; a gift of the spirit that flows through us and the music, and is shared with the congregation as we all worship together. Each of Unity’s ensembles has a strong sense of community built through the intimacy of working hard and joyfully to a common purpose: giving the Unity community this life-affirming gift. The next Director will be building on a program of strengths.
The Director will also play a key role in Unity’s ongoing transformation, as we actively work to become an anti-racist, multicultural spiritual home. The Director will help shape that expression in service to Unity’s members and those who have yet to walk through our doors.
The Director provides leadership of the music ministry of Unity. The current music program at Unity includes these ensembles, each of which sings in worship on average once or twice per month:
- Unity Choir, ca. 70 SATB voices of all ages and abilities
- Unity Singers, 20 auditioned SATB voices
- Women’s Ensemble, ca. 60 SA voices
- Children’s Choir, ca. 15-25 treble boys and girls voices
The program also currently includes this staff—some paid, some volunteer:
- Children’s Choir director
- Choir accompanist/assistant
- Women’s Ensemble assistant
- Summer music coordinator
- Children’s musical staff (Each spring, the 6th-8th graders of Unity premiere a musical written by a local composer and librettist)
- Four paid section leaders in Unity Choir
- Sunday service organist/pianist
This position is currently flexibly conceived, meaning the successful candidate may have strengths in choral conducting; or keyboards; or program design and implementation; or staff leadership and communication; or diverse musical styles; or all the preceding. Working with the senior ministers – to whom this position reports – the Director will play a critical role in shaping both the particular duties of this position and Unity’s overall music program.
During the formal church year (September-June), Unity holds three services each Sunday. A primary responsibility of the Director is to work in close collaboration with the ministerial staff; their shared goal is to ensure that the music presented as part of Sunday services enhances the depth and meaning of the spiritual experience. Unity also has an active Worship Associate program: a small, trained group of laypeople who help shape monthly worship themes 3-6 months in advance, and assist the senior ministers in leading worship.
Education and Experience
- A master’s degree in music or equivalent experience
- Extensive choral conducting experience
- Proficiency at keyboard
- Experience as a church musician
- Supportive of Unitarian-Universalist values
- A passion for music as ministry
- Fluency in a variety of musical styles
- Grounded in intercultural competence
In addition to musical excellence, the successful candidate will also demonstrate the following qualities:
- Ability to inspire music program participants of all ages to excellence in giving their gifts of spirit and heart to our congregation and the larger community.
- Ability to invite and welcome newcomers interested in participating in Unity’s music.
- Ability to reach beyond Unity’s walls to welcome guest artists and diverse musical expression to enrich worship.
- Openness, curiosity, and interest in the many ways music and spirituality intersect.
- Eagerness to collaborate with ministers, staff, and volunteers.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
Salary: commensurate with education and experience.
Mission: Unity Church-Unitarian fosters transformation through a free and inclusive religious community that encourages lives of integrity, service, and joy.
Values: At Unity Church-Unitarian, in all we do, we strive to embody wonder, open-hearted engagement, and courageous action.
For more information about Unity Church-Unitarian, please visit our website: http://www.unityunitarian.org/
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume before October 1, 2018 to Barbara Hubbard, Executive Director: email@example.com