Media Relations Specialist
St. Catherine University invites applications for a Media Relations Specialist in The Marketing & Communications Department.
The Media Relations Specialist is a member of the Office of Marketing and Communications, housed in the Institutional Advancement (IA) division. Members of the Marketing and Communications team are storytellers who create engaging and dynamic communications that raise the profile and awareness of St. Catherine University. Members of this team serve as the voice of St. Kate's, representing our diverse student body, our commitment to social justice, and helping to achieve our organizational mission.
The Media Relations Specialist works cross-functionally with internal partners to highlight University news, promote academic programs, and build engagement with our audiences. This position brings excellent writing and media relations skills to our team. The Media Relations Specialist builds relationships with and provides strategic counsel on local, regional and targeted media. This role also provides counsel on public relations issues, and identifies and places news stories as part of comprehensive public relations strategies for a range of University clients.
The Media Relations Specialist builds brand awareness, enhances reputation and secures media coverage through creative thinking and smart storytelling. This role develops tools and resources that supports partners across the University to share stories of success, position University spokespersons as subject matter experts, and engage key stakeholders. As managing editor of the St. Catherine University news site, this position will also act as reporter and assignment editor for newsworthy events and initiatives on both campuses, ensuring timely, thoughtful and thorough coverage.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy to enhance the University's reputation, brand awareness and thought leadership .
• Lead coordinated efforts to generate media coverage and cultivate strong relationships with reporters and editors; serve as the primary point of contact for media inquiries.
• Develop content calendar to align with and support other marketing and communications activities.
• Identify news angles, develop story ideas, intentionally and proactively pitch media - including local print and broadcast media, and industry-specific outlets.
• Coordinate interviews and photo shoots with faculty, staff and students.
• Write and edit news releases, student stories, bylined articles, e-newsletters, and social media content.
• Generate monthly media reports to be shared with University community.
• Maintain online media room.
• Stay up to date on relevant topics and issues in order to position University subject matter experts and research in stories and trends as they occur.
• Develop and maintain strong, positive working relationships with University faculty, staff, senior leaders and administrators.
• Provide media relations support to all areas of the University, including media training, talking points and communications plans.
• Assist with crisis management and negative communications; maintain and update crisis communications plan.
• Maintain severe weather notifications plan and execute communications as needed with multiple departments across campus, including public safety, facilities, student affairs.
• Support Communications team by developing content for web, email, newsletters, other communications as needed.
• Work collaboratively with communications team to strategically integrate and align communications and marketing efforts.
To Apply and Special/Other Requirements Summary
• BA in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related liberal arts degree required.
• 5+ years of experience in communications, media relations, public relations or journalism; agency experience preferred.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles of journalism, mass communication, writing news/publicity pieces and editing.
• Ability to balance the requirements of being an organizational advocate with the requirements of the news media.
• Ability to use interpersonal skills to determine needs of students, faculty and staff, including pre-interview coaching and post-interview follow up work.
• Proven track record of success pitching and earning placement of news stories in target publications.
• Superior, AP-style writing and editing skills; strong attention to detail.
• Ability to develop and execute communications strategies and to communicate at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent project management skills; ability to meet tight deadlines, juggle numerous projects and work under pressure.
• Skilled in using Microsoft and Google suites.
• Excellent verbal and written communications, team management and client management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work well with internal and external partners.
• Willingness to work a nontraditional schedule when needed; ability to respond to external and/or crisis communication needs 24/7.
• Photography skills a plus.
To apply: : Please visit the St. Catherine University Employment Site at http://www.stkate.edu/hr . Candidates of color are encouraged to apply, as are those who will contribute to a diverse candidate pool. Requisition number is #20180053-Staff. Applicants may also visit the St. Catherine University Human Resources office to submit an electronic application. We are located in Derham Hall, Room 8. Applicants should electronically submit their application (including a resume, cover letter, 2-3 writing samples and portfolio of successful media placements) Application review begins immediately, position open until filled.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer ~Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org Preferred Qualifications
St. Catherine University seeks creative, adaptable faculty who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Consistent with the university's commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their service.