The Gardener position exists to provide gardening, turf management and winter snow removal for St. Catherine University.
• Work with Lead Horticulturist.
• Provide work direction to student staff, volunteers, and/or volunteer work crews; may supervise special team projects.
• Responsible for the personal proper use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials.
• Perform minor maintenance of power equipment and irrigation; refers more serious problems to the Lead Horticulturist or Mechanic; oversees proper use· and maintenance of tools and equipment by assigned student workers.
• Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and turf.
• Understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation.
• Responsible for the continual development of student workers and building positive employee relations by coaching, counseling, mentoring, motivating, resolving conflict, praising, documentation of performance, etc.
• Demonstrate a continual positive effort to maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and management.
• Turf and lawn maintenance including tree care.
• Weed and water as needed.
• Work in the greenhouse; starting seedling, watering, spraying and propagating plant material.
• Perform snow removal duties, plowing, deicing, snow removal with Bobcat, and power sweeping the sidewalks.
• Perform regular inspections throughout the gardens; routine inspections may identify insect/disease problems, weed control needs, etc.; reports major problems or concerns to Lead Horticulturist.
• Associates degree or undergraduate study in horticulture, botany, or natural sciences required.
• Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience in horticulture trades.
• Supervisory experience with landscaper or garden staff preferred.
• In-depth knowledge of plant culture, Best Management Practices, plant identification and design preferred.
• Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, rototillers, front-end loader, tractors, back pack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.).
• Previous experience and knowledge of irrigation systems and maintenance.
• Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire.
• Demonstrate accuracy; display commitment to excellence and a keen eye for garden detail.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, fellow supervisors, direct supervisors, volunteers, and co-workers.
• Knowledge of garden plants, turf, and the aesthetic ethic of the Gardens.
• Ability to perform and support horticultural practices that facilitate plant health through understanding soil nutrition, sustainable gardening and Integrated Pest Management.
• Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden detail and aesthetics applying best garden practices for plant health and display.
• Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Minnesota weather year round.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team effectively.
• Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for record keeping, and problem-solving.
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply: Please visit the St. Catherine University Employment Site at http://www.stkate.edu/hr for electronic application information and details. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply, as are those who will contribute to a diverse candidate pool. Requisition number is #20180052-Staff. Applicants may also visit the St. Catherine University Human Resources office to submit an electronic application. We are located in Derham Hall, Room 8. Review of applications begins immediately position is open until filled.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/Drug Free Workplace Employer
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org