Employer: Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
Location: Saint Paul
Closes: Open Until Filled
Category: Legal and Nonprofit
Employment Status: Full-time
- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking a staff attorney in its Saint Paul, Minnesota office. Second language fluency in Spanish, Hmong, Somali, or Karen is required.
Organization Summary: The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 32-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 22 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Staff Attorney is responsible for representation in a variety of immigration matters; and for providing information, technical assistance, outreach, and training on behalf of income-eligible persons of all nationalities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide representation to individuals and families in affirmative immigration matters, including some or all of the following tasks: prepare and submit immigration applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), respond to requests for evidence, keep clients informed about their case status, ensure that clients receive and understand communications from USCIS regarding their pending applications, prepare clients for interviews with USCIS, and educate clients about their rights and obligations under immigration law. Case types will include but are not limited to: naturalization, U Visas, VAWA, DACA, and family unity.
- Additional responsibilities for staff attorneys may include deportation defense in immigration court and immigration administrative and federal appeals.
- Engage in outreach efforts to immigrant and refugee communities regarding our legal services.
- Conduct intake consultations with and provide advice to potential clients.
- Identify and resolve legal issues on behalf of new clients, accept cases, maintain client files.
- Maintain client data in compliance with organization protocols and in compliance with grants and contracts.
- Provide information about immigration law to agencies that work with the immigrant and refugee communities, on a one-to-one basis and through presentations.
- Assist in grant proposal and report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: J.D. degree and admission to a state bar. Experience with immigration matters preferred. Other Skills/Requirements include:
- Second language fluency in Spanish, Somali, Hmong, or Karen required;
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills;
- High level of attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Familiarity with diverse refugee and immigrant communities, community agencies, and resources;
- Demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- Ability to work constructively with others, possess good judgment, learn quickly, and work well independently and under pressure as well as in collaboration with other staff and with other organizations; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, immigration form program and case database experience a plus.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to ILCM Legal, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.