ASL Interpreter/Interpreter Coordinator
St. Catherine University invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) ASL Interpreter/Interpreter Coordinator in the O'Neill Center for Academic Development.
This position exists within the O'Neill Center to provide communication access between Deaf, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind stakeholders and non-Deaf stakeholders of St. Catherine University, including faculty, staff, and students, in support of the University's mission to educate women to lead and influence. The position will coordinate requests for university-wide public events; provide interpreting services and communication accessibility for faculty and staff in recruitment, training, and related situations; secure contract interpreters; and oversee closed captioning accommodation. Ultimately, this position, in liaison with the office of Disability Resources and Human Resources, works to ensure that the university maintains the highest level of accessibility compliance for its diverse constituents.
• Accurately and impartially, interpret or transliterate between spoken English and American Sign Language for varied consumers, including Deaf, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind professional staff, faculty, students and other stakeholders and community members.
• Provide interpreting services for Deaf, hard of hearing, DeafBlind, and non-Deaf faculty, staff, and stakeholders for a broad range of University programs, activities, events, meetings (campus-wide, department, faculty, or 1:1), information sessions, formal ceremonies, campus tours, and classes.
• Prepare for interpreting assignments by reviewing materials and discussing interpreting needs with consumers.
• Provide interpreting support to students on an as needed basis.
• Team interpret for longer assignments, as needed.
• Work with specialized interpreters, including performance, platform, CDI, DeafBlind, and legal, as appropriate.
• Additional interpreting duties as assigned, which may include mentoring students.
• Coordinate recruitment, contracting, and development and dissemination of preparation materials for team or other additional interpreters as needed.
• Manage interpreter requests and assign appropriate interpreter with the skills and abilities best suited for the content, setting, and consumers.
• Coordinate subcontract interpreter assignments for one-time requests, ongoing requests, and requests for conferences/special events.
• Monitor subcontractor invoices.
• Establish and maintain University contracts with interpreting and/or captioning services vendors.
• Function as the point of contact for communication accessibility within St. Catherine University by providing technical assistance, information/referral, consultation and assistance to departments coordinating university events.
• Conduct outreach and education within the University about communication equity and accessibility.
• Develop and maintain systems for tracking the work, and monitoring it for trends and recommendations for future adjustments in service delivery.
• Provide translation and captioning for video contents.
Special/Other Requirements Summary
• Bachelor's Degree required.
• Minimum of three years professional interpreting experience.
• Interpreting coordination experience and Supervisory experience required.
• National interpreting certification required (NIC, or BEI Advanced, or equivalent credential).
• Linguistic and cultural competence, specifically the ability to communicate and work effectively in American Sign Language and English with people from diverse backgrounds with diverse lived experiences.
• Ability to communicate and interpret in a professional environment, using American Sign Language or English, with various university faculty, staff, students, and other stakeholders.
• Ability to interpret face-to-face and via video technology for meetings, university events, and other events as needed.
• General understanding of legal requirements of Americans with Disability Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act required.
• Ability to independently coordinate multiple tasks and respond to a wide range of situations in an organized manner.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive materials, applying the interpreting professional code of conduct, FERPA requirements, and University guidelines.
• Ability to use office equipment, (computers and videophone technology).
• Ability to work well with the O’Neill Center staff, the St. Catherine University community, and the larger community of disability service providers.
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
To apply: : Please visit the St. Catherine University Employment Site at http://www.stkate.edu/hr. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply, as are those who will contribute to a diverse candidate pool. Requisition number is #20180060-Staff. Applicants may also visit the St. Catherine University Human Resources office to submit an electronic application. We are located in Derham Hall, Room 8. Please include Resume, Cover letter, and Proof of Certification with application. Application review begins immediately, position open until filled.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer ~Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org