Peer Support Coordinator--Positive Link
JustUs Health, formed through a merger between the Minnesota AIDS Project (MAP) and Rainbow Health Initiative (RHI), envisions a Minnesota where people from diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities experience health and wellness in powerfully inclusive environments. Founded in 1983, MAP is widely recognized for the impact of its prevention and support services for individuals living with HIV or at risk of HIV infection. RHI, founded in 2001, advances the health of the LGBTQ communities through research, education and advocacy. Together, JustUs Health will lead work to achieve health equity for diverse gender, sexual, and cultural communities.
JustUs Health (www.justushealth.mn) seeks a full-time Health Education Coordinator for our Positive Link Program. Positive Link fosters a community of gay, queer, bisexual men and other men who have sex with men who are living with HIV. The program provides innovative HIV education and support services that empower health-promoting choices for HIV-positive gay, queer, bisexual men and other men. The Health Education Coordinator provides a mix of activities for individuals and groups to empower program participants to be engaged in health care and risk reduction strategies to maximize their health and the health of the larger community. The Health Education Coordinator understands HIV prevention, care and related issues and has the capacity to deliver and lead creative, peer-based learning experiences.
* Deliver and lead peer-based activities that combine community, group and individual level health education and risk reduction strategies.
* Organize and deliver support activities designed to reduce isolation and stigma among gay, queer, bisexual men and other men who have sex with men who are living with HIV.
* Provide public health education, social networking and marketing using innovative techniques designed to reach the targeted community.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of HIV disease, transmission and services.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of the intersection of mental health concerns and health management.
* Maintain an understanding of program eligibility criteria, verification processes and documentation standards.
* Supports/trains/provides task oversight for assistant.
* Collaborate with agency and community HIV professionals and stakeholders.
* Work with computers and electronic databases.
* Coordinates data collection efforts to support program reporting and contract compliance.
* High school diploma or equivalent required. College level course work or bachelors level degree in community health, social work, human services or other related areas is preferred.
* Demonstrated capacity to work with HIV-positive people in individual and group settings. Individuals from this target population encouraged to apply.
* Demonstrated comfort and skill in addressing Gay/Bi/MSM/Queer and Transgender health issues. Individuals from these communities are encouraged to apply.
* Experience working with diverse communities who are disproportionately impacted by HIV including communities of color. Individuals from these communities are encouraged to apply.
* Previous experience in wellness or health education work including topics such as: fitness, nutrition, stress management/reduction, understanding HIV health care issues, stigma reduction and risk reduction.
* Experiences in direct service as a public health educator, community educator, community organizer, fundraising, special events, marketing or public relations professional, or related professional experience.
* Knowledge and comfort working with topics including: HIV health, mental health and chemical health.
* A demonstration of interdisciplinary capacities drawing from public health, education, community development, marketing and/or related fields.
* Comfort and skill being a peer leader, spokesperson and mentor with community members.
* Comfort and skill in upholding and supporting clear boundaries with program participants and in peer-based settings.
* Knowledge of current innovative HIV health education strategies.
* Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
* Access to reliable transportation to attend program activities throughout the metro area and periodic travel to areas in Greater MN.
Hours: Full time, programming routinely involves some evening and weekend hours.
JustUs Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities and GLBTQ persons.