Risk & Safety Analyst
RISK & SAFETY ANALYST
Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Location: Eden Prairie City Center
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; hours will vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Human Resources and Support Services Manager
The Administration Department includes the divisions of Communications, Facilities, Human Resources, Information Technology, City Clerk and Finance, which includes liquor operations. Each division in the Administration Department provides a support role for city government.
The Risk & Safety Analyst supports all City departments by directing the City’s risk management and customer service efforts. This position ensures the timely distribution of accurate and relevant information and materials to citizens, businesses and employees in a manner that reflects the City’s high professional standards. The position’s primary areas of impact are:
- Planning designing and implementing an overall risk management process for the City.
- Carrying out processes such as purchasing or renewing insurance, implementing safety measures; conducting audits of policy and compliance to standards, including liaison with internal and external auditors.
- Providing support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the City; planning and conducting risk management and safety training for all City departments; leads City safety committee.
- Manages, develops, and implements comprehensive State and Federal programs which ensures the City provides a safe and compliant work environment for all of its employees in the areas of Worker’s Compensation, Federal Department of Transportation regulations, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Environmental Protection Agency and Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act.
- Partners closely with Occupational Medicine vendors in regards to drug and alcohol testing, work related accidents and injuries, and pre-employment physical protocols
- Administers the City’s property/casualty insurance programs to reduce the risks and final exposures.
- Administers the City’s workers compensation program to reduce risk and minimize losses including light duty return to work.
- Conducts building walkthroughs and site visits to effectuate compliance with City Code and OSHA regulations, as well as investigate claims.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, risk management and insurance, public administration, or related field required. Risk Management Certificate preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of three years’ of experience in risk management, property/casualty insurance, worker’s compensation, safety or legal compliance required; experience with state and federal property/causalities and worker’s compensation regulations preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required.
Physical Requirements: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. There are regular visits to City Department locations, some of which are in other areas of the city. Between 15% and 25% of the time there is pressure associated with a project or activity deadline. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Occasional driving or riding is required to attend meetings. The job may involve dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
Position Specific Expectations
Planning: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and effectively delegates assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
Presentation: Is effective in a variety of settings: small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and management; is effective in all facets of the organization; uses effective tactics and techniques to keep audience engaged to facilitate results; provides direct and positive feedback to others.
Problem Solving: Handles conflict effectively by offering alternatives; Thinks of possible solutions related to a specific situation; May partner with others in order to arrive at a solution that will work for all parties; Communicates ways problem could be solved.
Attention to Detail: Produces work that includes minimal errors; spends the necessary time to review work; Ensures best product is delivered.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Timeline
To apply, complete an online application (www.edenprairie.org and click on the employment tab) by the application deadline.
Position Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018
Position Closes: Friday, October 19, 2018 at 4 p.m.
Phone Interviews: Monday, October 23 through Wednesday, October 24
Second Round Interviews: Thursday, October 25 and Friday, October 26
Final Round Interviews: Thursday, November 1 or Friday, November 2, 2018
Pre-employment Process: November 2018
Tentative Start Date: Late November/Early December 2018