2 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Posted Date 1 month ago(10/12/2018 6:52 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 800044
Department/Unit Dining Services - Auxiliary Services
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for an Executive Chef position within the Dining Services Department.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Executive Chef position offers effective culinary leadership and is a necessary resource for quality assurance/innovation, and is responsible for menu ideation/evolution, collaborating to establish a comprehensive curriculum for culinary training, coordinating in the development of product specifications and assuring consistent quality standards/recipe integrity, as well as monitoring all food related processes, systems, costs and controls.
This position has primary responsibility for the culinary aspects of a quality dining service program, and for providing maximum customer satisfaction to students, faculty/staff, and University guests. The Executive Chef is responsible for culinary planning and oversight across all units on both the St. Paul and Minneapolis campuses.
Responsible for resident, retail and catering menu development, recipes and preparation, management of culinary and service staff (includes hiring, discipline, termination, work schedules, production and performance assessment management development and reviews); responsible for quality assurance, design and implementation of training process, innovation, selection of new products and testing.
In collaboration with the culinary leadership team, implement and manage unit-specific sustainability goals and programs, ensure financial viability of dining units through development and management of budgets based on realistic goals. Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
Develop and maintain positive and professional working relationships with faculty, staff, students and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide leadership to the managers, chefs and culinary staff and front of house supervisors and personnel in following menu standards. Responsible for menu ideation and new concept development for all catering, residential and retail operations. In collaboration with culinary team, lead the development of the Residential cycle menus and recipes.
- Monitor menu and inventory management system and processes to include, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs.
- Sets and monitors adherence to menu standards for each operation. Utilize CBORD software program to standardize recipes and to hold staff accountable to these standards. Ensures full compliance with all food, occupational safety rules and regulations and customer service expectations.
- This position is fiscally responsible to monitor food purchased, prepared and served. Ensures the preparation and presentation of high quality food in accordance with the established menu while meeting target meal costs. This includes creating purchasing standards for resident, retail, bakery and catered menus, directing Production Chef(s), unit managers and purchasing agent(s) toward utilizing CBORD systems and purchasing the correct products. Maintains consistent standards for each recipe and menu item. Cost controls include labor schedules, food cost and equipment maintenance.
- Oversee catering and bakery food production to ensure food quality, presentation and portion sizes meet menu standards.
- Performance assessment of direct reports to include annual goal development, and performance reviews. Performance management includes hiring, coaching, developing work schedules, training, monitoring disciplinary action. Arrange routine culinary staff meetings to introduce recipes, menu development and training techniques.
- This position is responsible for maintaining the Health Department codes and regulations; instructing and training culinary staff in the proper cleaning methods; developing a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines system for dining services.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in hospitality, restaurant/food service management, dietetics, business or related field
- Seven years of experience as a chef in the hospitality industry to include progressive management/supervisory experience in developing a quality food program in a collegiate residential and/or restaurant environment
Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations
Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound decisions
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as business levels dictate
ServSafe certification required within six months of employment
ACF certification required within one year of hire.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts
- Experience as an executive chef. Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities
- Skilled at addressing a variety of situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer