Engineer - Linux Automation
Description: JOIN US AS AN ENGINEER - LINUX AUTOMATION Stores Hosting Compute team is looking for an engineer to complement our strive to infracode our compute, which includes thousands of physical servers, at stores for the next generation of applications. We are looking for an engineer who has passion to develop infrastructure as code with automation to build compute at Target Stores. This position focuses on the base OS deployment and management automation, developing and implementing a virtual container strategy, and ensuring operating efficiencies in the stores server environment through automation. This role will have the opportunity to work with multiple teams, architects and leaders to ensure the systems will enable the future of compute for Target stores. Use and enhance your skills, experience and talents as part of an innovative and visionary team.
As an Engineer, you'll…
As an Engineer, you'll…
- Participate in construction, automation, and implementation activities ensuring successful implementation while meeting architectural and operational requirements.
- Apply Linux experience to improve automation of server implementation and management practices - experience with automation coding capabilities associated with Chef or Ansible a plus.
- Impact the hosting infrastructure of thousands of physical and tens of thousands of virtual servers.
- Introduce open source operating systems and containerization/Microservices hosting platforms into Target stores
- Transform health management/monitoring solutions using open source technologies.
- Contribute to roadmaps and standards for the server hardware, operating system, and related technologies.
- Participate in preventative maintenance strategies, troubleshooting and aid in quickly resolving problems to ensure infrastructure and application stability.
- Work with multiple teams, leaders and architects to ensure systems are aligned with overall IT policies and standards.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years relevant experience
- Possess a growth mindset, ready to learn and help transform technology
- Self-motivated individual willing to drive results and work with other team members to build amazing solutions
- Possess working knowledge of technical approaches in design, build, testing, debugging problems
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise and stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
- Working knowledge of various operating systems - with an emphasis in Linux (RHEL/CentOS 6/7 or any other Linux Variant -Debian/Ubuntu)
- Moderate experience in scripting skills in Python, Ruby, Bash, sed, awk
- Experience utilizing CI/CD technologies (Git, Chef, Ansible, Jenkins/Drone)
- Working knowledge of measurement products (Sensu, ELK, Telegraf/Influx)
- Experience creating secure infrastructure through automation
- Kubernetes and Spinnaker experience a plus
- Hands-On experience managing virtualized environments utilizing KVM, Hyper-V, Xen, OpenStack on FC, iSCSI, NFS storage
- Infrastructure administration experience working in large distributed environments
- Working knowledge of patch deployment and software distribution tools (YUM, RPM)