Posted Date 2 months ago(10/12/2018 1:40 PM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 890022
Department/Unit Dining Services - Auxiliary Services
FLSA Status Non-Exempt/Hourly
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Sous Chef position within the Dining Services Department. This opening is located in The View, a cafeteria style restaurant on Main Campus.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
As a member of the culinary management team, the Sous Chef is responsible for supporting the Production Chef (PC) and the Executive Chef (EC) as an active and working participant in food production in the Main Kitchen. In the absence of the PC and EC, the Sous Chef oversees production, prep and catered events. Duties include food production and the delegation/supervision of prep duties to culinary and student staff in a fast-paced, high volume kitchen.
This position is designated as Emergency Essential; Emergency Essential employees are expected to remain at work if campus closes during their regular work schedule or to report to work if the campus closing announcement is made before their regular work schedule begins.
This position will be scheduled for a variety of hours as dictated by our ever changing business needs, including nights and weekends.
1. Oversee the production and preparation of all food in the ASC Main Kitchen
- Meals must be prepared in accordance to recipe
- Meals must be prepared using proper cooking method, i.e. fry, grill, sauté, etc.
- Use batch cooking technique when necessary based upon business level
2. Ensure that team members follow CBORD recipes
- Review recipes with PC/EC when corrections are needed
- When following recipes, use the specified ingredients and methods
3. Oversee documentation of all usage per CBORD Serving Line worksheet or Production Worksheets
- After preparing food, document what was prepared in the Serving Line worksheet
- After service, document how much is leftover in the Serving Line worksheet
- Use proper unit of measure when documenting quantities
4. Ensure that all food is presented in an attractive manner
- Items should be appropriately sauced and/or garnished
- Food should be arranged in serving pan in an organized and appealing way
- Serve hot food hot and cold food cold
5. Enforce ServSafe food handling guidelines
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Three (3) years of experience as a chef in a high volume business
- ServSafe certified
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer