Founding Director, School of Nursing
Founding Director, School of Nursing
Posted Date 2 months ago(10/22/2018 6:14 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 2018-3776
Department/Unit School of Nursing
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a founding Director opportunity for the School of Nursing.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
Medical, dental, and vision options
Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota's largest private university, seeks a creative and innovative founding Director of the School of Nursing. This is tremendous opportunity to build a new School, focused on nursing excellence, integrative healthcare, community partnerships, and the Catholic commitment to service as a key pillar of St. Thomas' newly created College of Health. Working closely with the founding Dean of the College of Health, the Director of Nursing will build a talented and diverse faculty and create a set of nursing programs dedicated to addressing health and wellness of the whole person. Further strengthening St. Thomas' strong relationships with local, regional, and Catholic healthcare providers, the Director of Nursing will leverage the University's influence and strong reputation to create a collaborative and innovative model for nursing and healthcare.
The founding Director of the School of Nursing will imagine, build, and lead a School that will help meet the strong regional and national demand for nurses while expanding the academic and programmatic offerings at St. Thomas. The School of Nursing joins two existing units within the new College of Health - the School of Social Work and the Graduate School of Professional Psychology - and the Director of Nursing will identify key opportunities for collaboration, forging meaningful partnerships across campus, throughout the Twin Cities region, and more broadly. The Director of Nursing will shepherd the School through accreditation and create a supportive culture of mentorship, academic excellence, and a strong dedication to service.
- Develop programs that address the need for more nursing professionals in the Twin Cities and beyond, and serve students interested in careers in health care delivery
- Recruit, retain, and support a talented faculty and staff
- As the inaugural leader of the School, the Director will set the tone and culture of the unit by bringing together a team that represents a broad array of disciplines and specialties, clinical, teaching, and research backgrounds, and professional experience
- Initiate and shepherd the School through accreditation and once met, ensure accreditation requirements are maintained
- Coordinate interdisciplinary teaching efforts and dynamic student experiences outside of the classroom, including innovative internships and clinical placements
- Inculcate a culture of mentorship and create structures to support and ensure the success of students from diverse backgrounds
- Create partnerships across campus, in the region, and around the country to enhance nursing education and the student experience
The Director of Nursing should be an experienced nurse as well as an academic and administrative leader, capable of inspiring others around a shared mission and a culture of excellence. Moreover, the Director of Nursing should be a dynamic innovator, passionate about forging and navigating key partnerships to cement the new School of Nursing as a superior model at St. Thomas and more broadly.
The successful candidate will meet most, if not all, of the following criteria:
- A registered nurse (RN)
- A terminal degree in nursing (PhD or DNP)
- Demonstrated strategic leadership and management experience
- Proven administrative ability, including budget and financial management, strategic planning, policy formation, and personnel management
- Experience developing innovative academic units, programs, and degrees relevant to the School of Nursing
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Catholic higher education in general and the principles of Catholic social teaching in particular
- Experience building and maintaining inter-professional linkages and collaborations
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity; an understanding of its importance to the mission and richness of the University and its continued success
- Experience fostering a culture of academic excellence among faculty members
- Deep commitment to shared governance
- Interdisciplinary training and background
- Experience in working in integrated healthcare environments
- The ability to build meaningful, transparent collaborations as the institution continually strives for excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service
- Ability to advocate internally and externally for financial and human resources
- Experience in recruitment, mentoring, and retention of students, faculty, and staff that will contribute to a diverse and inclusive learning community
- Ability to build an inclusive learning community
- Knowledge of undergraduate and graduate students and program needs
- Knowledge of accreditation and assessment both at the national and state level and an understanding of licensure requirements
- The highest degree of personal integrity
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer