CAPS Intern - Information Technology
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Unpaid internship
Job Description: This position is open ONLY to Shakopee High School CAPS participants.
Provides support to IT Client Systems, IT Project and IT Network teams for day to day operations. Stages equipment, performs software installs, creates project documents and reviews logs in assistance with IT security audits. Assists IT Analysts, Engineers and Project Managers with tasks required in their areas of work. Works with teams across IT to gain knowledge of other IT disciplines.
Intern (non-paid, part-time position)
Primary Duties and Tasks:
- Stages client IT equipment for deployment to end users including both hardware and software preparation.
- Creates documentation specific to current IT projects including diagrams, workflows and completing project templates.
- Reviews system logs as part of security analysis and documents findings. Assists with user provisioning tasks and user access audits.
- Directly assists IT personnel across IT groups.
Possible projects include:
1) Desktop computer replacements
o Sets up a new computer with applications required for an end user. Prepares the computer hardware, deploys the operating system and provisions the applications. Tests the system for errors and works with the end user in migrating to the new computer.
2) Project Documentation
o Uses pre-established project templates to document deliverables needed as part of an IT project. Works with the IT Project team to understand the project goals, timelines and requirements. Completes documentation based on this information and participates in the project process.
3) Security reviews
o Generates reports within log management systems for review and analysis. Works with the IT Security team to understand procedures and analysis guidelines for managing reviews. Uses log management systems to find additional information on reported findings. Assists the Security team with modifications to reports or analysis to continuously improve the review process.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement
- A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Willingness to take initiative to understand the business
- An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Previous successful experience as an active member of a team
- A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
- Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
- Must be able to work independently, follow instructions, communicate effectively and manage resources.
- Beneficial to have prior experience with desktop or laptop computers.