Software Engineer I or II
Software Engineer I or II
Posted Date 3 weeks ago(2/28/2019 2:43 PM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300235
Department/Unit Information Technology Services - ITS
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Software Engineer I or II position within the Information Technology Services Department.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
Join a collaborative and functional team, doing exciting work using modern cloud platforms and tools.
Depending on qualifications, incumbent would perform Software Engineer I or II duties, as outlined below.
1. Back end application development
Designs or develops applications to meet business requirements and ensures work is within ITS (Information Technology Services) approved programming and support standards. Implements applications into St. Thomas technical and support infrastructure. Performs analysis and testing to assure quality.
2. Internal and external product ownership and integration
Integrates external developed and maintained applications with St. Thomas infrastructure and systems. Manages product development for certain products, including functional analysis, translating user requirements into product features, and reviewing and evaluating feature requests.
3. Front end application development
4. Application support
Provides Tier II or Tier III support of applications. Assists Tier I or II support and other teams with incident resolution. Provide documentation to assist with application support.
5. ITS policy and procedure compliance
Is proficient with and follows ITS procedures for communication updates, call/incident tracking, installation & inventory, knowledge base, and communication guidelines. Remains current on trending customer issues and concerns. Performs other duties as assigned to ensure policies and standards meet customer needs.
Level of education and experience will determine Software Engineer I or II classification.
- Associate's or a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- One to three years of professional hands on software development experience
- For Software Engineer II - Master's Degree preferred or currently working toward a Master's Degree in a technical field
- Development experience with an object-oriented programming language, (Java preferred, .NET C# accepted) and modern frameworks
- Experience with Java or .NET based application servers
- Experience using a relational database
- General knowledge of IDEs, version control, and bug tracking (Intelli-J, Git, Jira preferred)
Technical Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Model View Controller (MVC): working knowledge using MVC to build applications
- Experience with Cloud development, methodologies and tools – AWS preferred
- Experience consuming and creating APIs and Web Services
- Knowledge of configuration management and deployment tools like Terraform
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Mobile app development- native, cross-platform, PWA
- Experience with CRM and ERP integrations - Salesforce and Ellucian Banner preferred
- Debugging: Multitier application front end and back end debugging
- Testing: Junit, User Acceptance, and load testing
General Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a team-based environment
- Demonstrate initiative and disciplined approach to work
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Communication: effective written and verbal communication with clients and peers
- Developing logical procedures
- Analyzing systems and problems
- Ability to handle emergency situations quickly and calmly
- Preparing clear and concise documentation
- Reports of work performed and other written material
- Training customers and staff in applications including explaining system concepts to non-technical customers
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer