Software Engineer II
Software Engineer II
Posted Date 7 days ago(12/4/2018 2:15 PM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300235
Department/Unit Information Technology Services - ITS
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Software Engineer II position within the Information Technology Services Department.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
This position creates and supports enterprise level applications for the university community. These applications provide functionality for instructional and institutional business requirements and are used by students, faculty, staff, prospective students, alumni, donors and the general public. Incumbents ensure the success of applications, covering the spectrum of new development, integrations, enhancements and implementations for new or existing applications, and including application availability.
This position applies technical expertise, experience, critical thinking and knowledge of institutional and/or instructional process to provide design and scope recommendations for projects. Incumbents communicate and discuss complex technical concepts with departmental leadership, clients and colleagues regarding multiple aspects of a project or issue. In this role, an individual will also: follow approved life cycle methodologies; create design documents and prototypes; perform coding and testing; and resolve technical issues through debugging and investigation. The incumbent will also research, test and make recommendations for solutions to technical challenges.
This position is expected to maximize the University's investment in web technologies and how these technologies interact with the university's systems of record via administrative, undergraduate and graduate systems, directory interfaces, database queries, reports, and many more resources and interfaces while focusing on customer service and satisfaction in a team-based environment.
1. Back End Application, development, implementation, maintenance and quality assurance
Designs and develops applications using Java, .NET or other methods to meet business requirements and ensures work is within UST approved programming and support standards. Implements applications into UST technical and support infrastructure. Performs analysis and testing to assure quality.
2. Internal and External product ownership and integration
Integrates external developed and maintained applications with existing UST infrastructure and systems. Manages product development for certain products, including functional analysis, translating user requirements into product features, and reviewing and evaluating feature requests.
3. Front End Application, development, implementation, maintenance and quality assurance
4. Application Support
Provide Tier III support of applications. Assist Tier II support and other ITS teams with complex incident resolution. Provide support documentation to Tier II and Service Desk to assist with application support.
5. ITS policy and procedure compliance
Is proficient with and follows ITS procedures for communication updates, call/incident tracking, installation & inventory, knowledge base, and communication guidelines. Remains current on trending customer issues and concerns. Performs other duties as assigned to ensure ITS policies and standards meet customer needs.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Three years of professional hands on software development experience
- A mix of front end and back end web development experience
- Development experience with a powerful object-oriented programming language, (Java preferred, .NET C# accepted)
- Experience with Java or .NET based application servers such as Weblogic, Elastic Beanstalk, JBoss, Glassfish, Apache TomEE
- Experience using a relational database Oracle, MYSQL, or MSSQL. General knowledge of IDEs, version control, and bug tracking (Intelli-J, Code Commit/Git, Jira preferred)
Technical Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Java EE Technologies: Servlets, JSP, JDBC, JNDI, JCA
- Frameworks: Grails, Springboot, Spring 2.5 / 3.1, Spring MVC, Spring Security
- Web Services: WSDL, SOAP, WS-I, UDDI, JAX-WS, AXIS, XML RPC, WS-Security, JAX-RS, REST
- Databases/Java Database Frameworks: Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, JPA
- Salesforce (or other CRM) development and tools
- Experience with Ellucian Banner (or other ERP systems) integration
- Experience with Cloud development, methodologies and tools
- Debugging: Multitier application front end and back end debugging
- Software Architecture: Define, document, and communicate the software. Make sure everyone is using it, and using it correctly. Resolve disputes and make tradeoffs. Resolve technical problems.
- Project Life Cycle Management: Maintain application versions and task in JIRA. Log user stories, and have the ability to break them down into development and design tasks. Create estimates on how long releases will take.
- Model View Controller (MVC): Working knowledge of MVC and how to implement and maintain applications using this approach.
- Communication: Effective written and verbal communication, targeting both clients and pears
- Testing: Junit, User Acceptance, and load testing
- Analyzing: Gathering system requirements and selecting appropriate hardware and software for system design
- User interface design standards
General Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Leadership: Provide mentorship, guidance, and share knowledge within the organization
- Developing logical procedures
- Analyzing systems and problems
- Ability to handle emergency situations quickly and calmly
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Preparing clear and concise documentation
- Reports of work performed and other written material
- Instructing customers and staff in the operation of new or revised computer applications, including explaining system concepts to non-technical customers
- Exercising sound independent decisions within established procedural guidelines
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
- Ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Demonstrate initiative and disciplined approach to work
HOW TO APPLY
On the University of St. Thomas Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer