Mission Chair for Liberal Arts - INTERNAL ONLY
The School of Humanities, Arts and Sciences at St. Catherine University invites applications for the Alberta Huber, CSJ, Endowed Chair in the Liberal Arts and Director of the Evaleen Neufeld Initiative in the Liberal Arts. As one of three Endowed Chairs for mission at St. Catherine University, the full time Mission Chair for Liberal Arts offers a unique opportunity to cultivate the values and disciplines of the liberal arts across the University and to help envision the future of the liberal arts at St. Kate's through staff and faculty development.
• Work closely with the Mission Chair for Catholic Identity, Mission Chair for Women's Education, and Mission Program Manager to integrate the tripartite mission across the University.
• Be an accessible, fair, visible, inclusive, and intellectually engaged ambassador for the liberal arts at St. Kate's, internally and externally. Mentor and advocate for faculty and staff as they carry out their work.
• Help build bridges in relationships across programs, offices, departments, and initiatives that shape the academic and institutional culture of the University.
• Craft and help facilitate - with the Mission Chairs, Mission Program Manager, and Academic Professional Development Committee (APDC) - the annual Opening Faculty/Staff Workshop (OFSW) and the Teaching Learning Network (TLN).
• Attend relevant conferences with small teams from St. Kate's to learn about the challenges facing and new opportunities for the liberal arts in higher education.
• Consult with the Senior Leadership Team, Dean's Council, and the CSJ's as needed on matters related to the integrity, history, and value of the liberal arts at St. Kate's.
• Support the Gamma Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at St. Kate's as a member/honorary member.
• Collaborate with Human Resources and Academic Affairs to develop sustainable models for staff/faculty development opportunities related to the liberal arts.
• Work with the Admissions Teams to support their work to promote liberal arts education among a diverse population of prospective students.
• Facilitate collaboration between faculty and Information Technology & Academic Computing to envision how online courses can be aligned with our Liberal Arts Learning Goals.
• Work with Marketing & Communications to develop language and promote the story of the liberal arts at St. Kate's.
• Work with staff in Academic and Student Affairs to ensure that the letter and spirit of the liberal arts infuses curricular, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities.
• Work with Alumnae Relations to empower our graduates to be informed ambassadors for the liberal arts at St. Kate's.
• Collaborate and cultivate relationships with diverse community partners to enhance public engagement in the liberal arts.
• Only tenured faculty and longstanding faculty on rolling contracts (6+ years) at St. Kate's are eligible to apply.
• Terminal degree in discipline.
Eligibility, Contract Terms, and Salary
Tenured faculty, and longstanding faculty on rolling contract (6+ years), at St. Kate's are eligible to apply. This position entails a three-year term beginning August 2019, with the possibility for renewal – via re-application – for an additional three-year term. It is recommended that the Mission Chair continue teaching a 1:1 load in their Department (i.e. the Mission Chair will receive four course releases) and assume a 12-month contract, but these terms are negotiable in dialogue with the Dean of the School of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences. Additional compensation commensurate with experience, position, and rank.
St. Catherine University seeks creative, adaptable faculty who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Consistent with the university's Catholic identity, its commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their teaching, research and service.
Please go to the St. Catherine University employment site to apply for this position. Position number is: 20180033-FAC.
Applicants may also visit the University Human Resources office, located in Derham Hall Room 8, to submit an electronic application.
Applications must include a current curriculum vitae, list of three recommenders (two internal, one external; please provide name, title, and contact information), and a letter of application (maximum five pages, double-spaced) that responds to the following questions:
1. In relation to the Goals (identified in the position announcement), what is your vision for the liberal arts at St. Kate's?
2. What has prepared you to do this work, in your teaching, scholarship, and service?
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer; Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit the HERC website.