Community Outreach Specialist
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Hiring rate or hiring range: $18.36 - $20.65 based on qualifications
Join us in opening our new Cultural Resources Center! Excellent opportunity for someone with museum / cultural organization experience.
Initial days are Monday - Friday. After center opens in July 2019, days will be Tuesday - Saturday.
- Assist with planning, implementing and executing successful cultural education programs to audiences of all ages; establishes critical community outreach initiatives relevant to the Hocokata Ti; improving and evaluating visitor experience with respect to community cultural development needs while delivering exceptional customer service to promote the value of Dakota culture and history.
- Job Duties:
- Responsible for on-site and outreach programs, camps and workshops and utilizing STEAM based educational programs for schools and youth organizations.
- Assist supervisor with collaborative opportunities with schools, museums, supports educational initiatives and other partners to secure long-term relationships to broaden the Hocokata Ti's education and outreach programming.
- Collaborate with management and marketing staff for public programs and outreach materials. Assist with the maintenance and curatorial staff to ensure proper care, and program use of the Hocokata Ti's Education Collection.
- Attend special events and meetings to bring cultural awareness to the public about the SMSC Hocokata Ti.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors' degree preferred in American Indian Studies, American Indian History, education, marketing or equivalent experience in Dakota cultural heritage interpretation
- 3 years' experience in education at a multidisciplinary museum or cultural organization
- Knowledge of Dakota Indian history and culture obtained through coursework or on the job
- Excellent public speaking and community organizing skills
- Valid driver's license required with good driving record.
- On feet or standing 50% of time.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.