Art Center Instructor- Various Media (part time)
Status: Part-time/Temporary/Seasonal (PTS) position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $20.00 to $25.00 per hour, depending upon qualifications
Hours: Various/ongoing, based on offered classes and workshops and area(s) of expertise.
Location: Eden Prairie Art Center, 7650 Equitable Drive
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Recreation Supervisor - Arts and EventsRecreation Division
The Recreation Services Division has the responsibility for managing all recreation facilities and providing a variety of affordable recreation programs and services for all age groups and people of all abilities. The staff in this division are responsible for the management of facilities such as the Community Center, the Senior Center, and the Outdoor Center, as well as all other City park buildings and recreation facilities such as swimming beaches, sledding hill, amphitheater and facilities on school property that are operated in partnership with the School District such as the Oak Point Pool and tennis courts at CMS.Position Responsibilities
The Art Center Instructor leads a variety of youth and/or adult courses and workshops at the Eden Prairie Art Center and possible off-site locations based on experience and area(s) of expertise. In addition, individuals hired for this position may substitute for art classes in a variety of other formats and work at city events providing demonstrations or hands-on activities for youth and adults. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Provides instruction and prepares curriculum for adults in specialty areas such as ceramics, glass, woodworking, fiber, jewelry, sculpture, printmaking, and/or 2D arts; and/or provides instruction and prepares curriculum for youth in a variety of areas such as clay, glass, collage, woodworking, drawing, painting, sculpture, fiber, and/or printmaking. Serve as part of the pool of instructors for various bookings such as birthday parties, private parties or lessons, and events.
- Ensures students and member needs are met through personal recognition and providing quality service.
- Monitors the well-being of all participants throughout art program.
- Assumes a leadership role as a professional in the area of arts.
- Ensures that a safe and healthy environment exists for participants.
- Administers all Art Center policies, rules, and guidelines.
- Assists in the upkeep and general maintenance of the Art Center building.
- Arrives well prepared, with all necessary supplies before class starts.
- May be responsible for opening and closing the Art Center building for programs and open studio time.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: B.A. or B.F.A. degree in art or related subject required; M.A. or M.F.A. in appropriate field preferred. Consideration also given to those who are currently enrolled in one of the degree-seeking programs listed above and have extensive experience. CPR and First Aid certifications preferred.
Work Experience: 1-year Experience teaching art classes in a school or art center setting required, 3-5 years preferred.
Specialized Training: Able to create lesson plans independently and specialized training in one or more of the following: ceramics, glass, woodworking, fiber, jewelry, sculpture, printmaking, and/or 2D arts. Some equipment training may be provided.City Expectations
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the core values: Collaboration, Innovation, Integrity, Performance and Relationships.Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Sound Judgment: Able to make a decision based on the right mixture of facts; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options.City of Eden Prairie Pre-Employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
1. Work history
2. Professional references
3. Criminal history
*All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City's evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Application Post Date: December 11, 2018
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019
Review Applications: As received
Interviews: 1 to 2 weeks after application submission, top candidates only
Expected Start Date: Start date depends on candidate area(s) of expertise and schedule, but could be as early as February or March 2019. A majority of the hired candidates will begin in prep for the summer season, which begins in June.